6 Productive Forms of Procrastination on the Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Who says procrastination is a bad thing? On the Hill, we spend hours slaving away writing papers and studying for tests. Next time you find yourself having to take a break from Dinand and that assignment for CRAW, especially after you just finished that brutal chem lab, in order to avoid having a mental breakdown, try one of these fun and guilt-free activities for a well-deserved rest.

1. Send a care package to a friendWho doesn’t love checking their email to find out they have a parcel? Return the favor and make your friend at another school’s day by sending a batch of cookies or even just a quick note. You never know when someone is having a bad day- your thoughtfulness could go a long way. Best of all, you might even get the favor returned and find yourself sprinting to Hogan for a treat of your own. 
  2. Go on a run (or a ride on the elliptical)Not only will hitting the gym for a quick workout session burn some calories and help you work off that jumbo cookie from the Pub, but it will give your brain a much-needed rest. Sweating it out might even pump you up and give you the motivation you need to hit the books with a newfound burst of energy. After all, as Elle Woods so eloquently said, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.” We may not be talking about killing people here… but studying for a biology exam isn’t always the most pleasant of experiences.
  3. Get some coffeeI think most college students will agree that coffee is a necessity in our everyday lives, and there’s nothing wrong with grabbing a little pick-me-up after a long study session. It will refuel your brain and give you a little boost just when you are getting ready to tackle the books. Hit up Cool Beans for a refreshing chai latte or vanilla iced coffee, or if you’re one of the lucky ones with a car, Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts. Just don’t forget to bring your friends back some caffeine- they’ll love you forever.
  4. FaceTime with your petIt’s nice to see your mom or your brother on your iPhone every once in awhile, but it’s even better to see an adorable fluffy face. Get your daily dose of cuteness with some up-close-and-personal screen time with your pet- or a friend’s if need be. It will make you smile, and it’ll serve as a necessary distraction against the cruel world that includes econ problem sets and endless psychology readings.
  5. Watch a movieThis may be the least productive form of procrastination mentioned, but watching Ryan Gosling or Channing Tatum for an hour or two is never a bad idea. Go easy on your eyes for a bit and catch the most recent flick available on Netflix. You will thank yourself later when all you have been staring at for hours is foreign-looking equations and words by Socrates.
  6. Have a fashion showIt is not an unknown fact that girls take forever to get ready to go anywhere, whether it be to Leitrum’s or to dinner at Kimball. To potentially shorten the amount of time it usually takes, have a mini fashion show with your roomie by trying on each other’s dresses and shirts while blasting Miley Cyrus (her album from last year is still my go-to). This will not only help lighten the mood, but it will get you excited for the weekend ahead.

Evan Grogan

Holy Cross

Evan Grogan is a senior at the College of the Holy Cross who is studying abroad for the year at the University of St Andrews. She is an English and Art History double major and eventually hopes to attend graduate school for journalism and write for The New York Times. When Evan is not busy with school and writing for both Holy Cross' newspaper and Her Campus, she loves to read; go for runs; and spend time with her friends. She is obsessed with the color navy, rainbow sprinkles, and anything involving glitter.