design desk eyewear 313690jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
design desk eyewear 313690jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels
Wellness

5 Ways to Cure Zoom Fatigue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

Now that we are halfway through the semester, the Zoom fatigue struggle is REAL. These following 5 tips have helped me stay motivated thus far. If you find yourself starting to lose hope, try the following out!

Avoid Distractions

Throughout long Zoom classes, one of the biggest distractions is having your phone right next to you. In moments of boredom, I find myself checking my phone for just a minute, and not much later realizing I’ve completely checked out from class and ignored vital information. Although it is hard to get yourself to do, try putting your phone across the room or even in another room in order to stay focused. Consider it a treat to get after class and it will be much more rewarding than refreshing your Instagram feed for the 10th time as the minutes slowly tick by. 

Get Outdoors

Without Mount St. James and all the killer stairs at HC we climb to get to and from class, we could all use a little exercise. I’ve found that getting outside or even working out indoors has been something that clears my brain from all the information that was just thrown at me in class. Whether it’s going on a 1 mile walk, trying out different workout videos and breaking a sweat, or even just sitting outside for a few minutes, getting outdoors and away from your screen is a perfect refresher. If you ever get in a slump where getting up to work out is just not happening, try setting a goal to either workout for a certain amount of time or distance, so you get into a daily routine! 

Physically Prepare for Class

It’s tempting to hit snooze on your alarm until you have 2 minutes to sit up in your bed and log onto class – trust me, I’ve done it. Even though your bed is just so comfy you can’t bear to move until it’s ABSOLUTELY necessary, attending class in bed kills your attention span. Although it sounds a little pointless, getting dressed, making a cup of coffee, and having a proper breakfast before class, just like you would on campus, can put you in the zone. Even just changing from one set of pajamas to another can be sufficient!

Separate School Time from Personal Time

Spending your whole day in one room and on the same screen can make your personal time and school time mesh together, and this makes it easy to get lazy and feel drained. Scheduling hours for class work and for personal errands or hobbies can be the game changer you need to stay on task. Give your brain a little vacation, even if it just means migrating to the kitchen to get food. Try changing up your routine too — instead of watching another episode on Netflix and letting your screen kill your eyeballs, give them a little break too and try out a new recipe or go for a drive!

Relocate

Midterms are coming up, and with all the distractions that cross your path while being at home, getting that crucial quiet study time in can be impossible. Whether it means getting in the car and driving elsewhere, or setting up shop in a different room in your house, relocating can make a huge mental difference. Try finding a coffee shop or hitting your local library, just as you would on campus, to give your brain a change of scenery in order to get in the zone and kill your exams!

Charlotte Keane

Holy Cross '24

Charlotte currently a senior Holy Cross who is a co-correspondent of HerCampus for 2023. She is from Connecticut and can't wait to make her mark and contribution to HerCampus HQ her senior year!