5 Movies to Watch To Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.
“Brooklyn”

Brooklyn, the 2015 film starring Saoirse Ronan, follows young Irish immigrant Eilis in 1950’s Brooklyn. She finds herself caught between the romantic lure of her new life and the familial obligations that await her back in Ireland, as well as the struggle that can come with bridging two different cultures. Based on the novel, Brooklyn depicts the beginning of many Irish-American experiences, and is a perfect film for St. Patty’s Day!

“Leap Year”

Starring Amy Adams and Matthew Goode, Leap Year is one of those classic rom-coms that you’ve seen a thousand times: super cheesy and predictable, yet totally loveable. When the protagonist, uptight and perfect Anna, departs to Dublin to propose to her boyfriend on Valentine’s Day (in the spirit of following an ancient Celtic tradition), she finds herself unexpectedly at the mercy of a handsome, yet surly, bar owner. As they travel together to find her fiance, he helps her discover that her life might not be as perfect as she thought, and redefines her notions of love. If you want something lighthearted and funny, Leap Year is definitely the movie to watch this St. Patty’s Day. 

“The Wind That Shakes the Barley”

Set during the Irish War of Independence in the 1920’s, this film starring Cillian Murphy follows Irish medical student Damien as he abandons his medical track to join his brother Teddy in the Irish Republican Army. However, after the peace treaty is signed, the brothers’ relationship is strained as they are pitted against each other.  This film depicts the deep wounds that result from civil war, and the conflict between familial and political ties. The Irish struggle for freedom against British rule is an important part of Irish history, the scars of which can still be felt today. This historical film is a great, more serious, watch for this St. Patrick’s Day.

“The Departed”

Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, and Jack Nicholson give amazing performances in this crime thriller about the Boston PD, an undercover cop, and the Irish gang he’s trying to infiltrate. Set on the streets of South Boston, this cat-and-mouse story will keep you on the edge of your seat. 

“Once”

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova star in this heart-touching love story set on the streets of Dublin. When an Irish street musician meets a Czech immigrant and aspiring musician, they decide to start collaborating, and soon fall for each other. The amazing soundtrack that underscores this simple, yet beautiful, love story is definitely a must-watch this St. Patty’s Day. 

Lorna Doherty

Holy Cross '22

Hi! I'm a Junior at College of the Holy Cross, and I'm from London, UK. I'm studying Political Science and Film, and work for our campus arts organisation, Arts Transcending Borders, as media and documentation coordinator.