5 Differences Between Life on the Hill and Life Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

After 2 years on the Hill, I have gotten very used to many of the characteristics that make Holy Cross such an amazing place. Its beautiful campus, small class sizes, and general sense of community at places like Kimball and 878 were just some of the things that made me fall in love with this school. However, being abroad at the National University of Ireland in Galway has given me the opportunity to try something else and not only experience a new culture, but a new way of learning and socializing. While I miss HC greatly and count down the days till I return (hoping to be home in time for Ritzmas! Fingers crossed!), Ireland has already opened my eyes to a world outside of Worcester (who knew that existed?!).

1) Spoiler alert: not every campus has hills

It was to my excitement and amazement when I discovered that NUIG has minimal hills! Yay! Though the campus is larger and covers just a bit more surface area than Holy Cross does, it’s nice knowing I don’t have to worry about being out of breath when I finally reach my class- or plan my outfits based around their resistance to several minutes of panting and heaving.

2) Singles are a possibility

After two excruciating years with the dramatic, overbearing, cocky girl I called my roommate (kidding- love you Magpie) and frequent sleepovers with the delightful Meghan, it has been an entirely different experience to have my own room. While it is sometimes nice to have privacy, I do miss the constant pillow talk and having someone to throw Skinny Pop at. To all those concerned, though, there is no need to worry- my sidekicks are only about 10 feet away in their rooms right across the hall!

3) Not everyone loves Trap Queen as much as you do

It was to mine and my friends’ shock and dismay to discover that Fetty Wap’s classic tune “Trap Queen” isn’t as popular in other areas of the world! This was realized upon my request to the DJ that he play the track. After searching for the song in his library and pronouncing the artist’s name devastatingly wrong, he hesitatingly played it. Though the strongly explicit nature of it was initially met with judgmental stares and eye rolls from the Irish folk, I am proud to announce a dance party commenced and they are probably all listening to it on repeat now.

4) Being domestic is necessary

Though my roommates and I began with a simple meal of cereal for dinner, we have graduated to the elegant and nutritious ensemble of brown rice, an assortment of vegetables, and grilled chicken (it was frozen and pre-cut into pieces but irrelevant). We never thought of ourselves as being the domestic type, but being thrown so vigorously in the cutthroat nature of the empty kitchen, we had to make do with what we had. Though I do miss the easy, carefree style and atmosphere of Kimball, I am happy to say we have found success as amateur-but-soon-to-be-master chefs!

5) You don’t know everyone

It is a rarity to pass more than a handful of people you have never seen on the Hill each day. However, being in a new country inevitably means that you pass hundreds of people you do not know each day. While it is nice to see mostly familiar faces while strolling down the steps of Dinand or at an off-campus party, it is also a bit refreshing to know that you can wear leggings and t-shirts every day or drink one too many Apple Sours (an Irish alcoholic delicacy!) without worrying that anyone you know will judge you.

If there's anything I've mastered in this life, it's a successful hair flip.