Life > Academics

3 Tips to Remain Organized (and sane) As Finals Approach

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As we approach Easter Break, we know when we come back we need to start planning for finals. Finals season is stressful for everyone, but the best way to avoid stress is to look ahead and organize yourself and learn some tricks before finals. 

Sit down every Sunday and map out what assignments to do and when 

My biggest advice for staying organized is to plan ahead! Sunday afternoon is my favorite time to recollect myself after the weekend and look at what the week ahead will bring. Once you see the assignments and work to do this week, divide up the work amongst the days of the week so that you don’t experience too much work in one day. I like to do this every Sunday, but particularly around finals week, this is crucial for me so that I don’t feel overwhelmed in the middle of the week after pushing off work Monday and Tuesday. 

Give yourself certain hours in the day for work

I like to take advantage of the mornings and give myself up to a certain time at night to work. Depending on the workload, I will tell myself I would like to be in bed by 10pm. Not only does this push me to be productive during the day and not procrastinate until the night time, but it also gives you time during the night to unwind. This time during the night, I like to do something for myself and relax. Maybe I will put on my favorite movie, throw on a face mask and have some night time tea. Whatever it is you like to do to treat yourself, now is the time before the next day of work and studying.

Have social time in your day

It is easy to lock yourself in the library and try to get your work done. While sometimes this may be great to do, when I am stressed about my work already, I need some social time as a break so I don’t go crazy. Plan meals with your friends, do a group workout, grab some coffee off campus, or take a walk with a group. Any of these can allow you to recenter, regroup, and refocus so you can get back to work with a good, positive mindset.

While there are so many other tips and tricks to be successful and happy during finals week, these are a great three to get you started. Good luck as finals approach and make sure to listen to yourself! :)

Annie Jackowitz

Holy Cross '23

Class of 2023 Economics major with a concentration in gender & woman studies!