3 Easy Ways to Stay Green During a COVID Semester

It’s so hard to believe that we’ve been living through a global pandemic for over a year! There is no denying that COVID-19 has had an immense impact on how we live our day to day lives. From remote work and learning to strict social distancing and quarantines, it seems as if the world in which we knew it has been turned upside down. Yet perhaps one of the greatest effects of the pandemic has been felt by the environment and its health. Living on a college campus during this time where plastic to-go bags are as rampant as ever, you may be wondering how you can practice sustainability for our planet. Below are 3 tips for how to do just that!

1. 1. Use reusable bags, straws, and cups

glass bottles in Reusable bag

It may sound simple, but substituting plastic bags, cups, and straws with reusable ones can go a long way in reducing the college’s, and your own, ecological footprint. Even though the dining hall must utilize to-go options for students’ safety, there are reusable alternatives that will maintain COVID safety regulations and help make the planet a little greener!

2. 2. Avoid Food Waste

three glass dishes sit side by side on the counter full of colorfully arranged veggies

This semester especially, I’ve noticed more food waste than ever before on campus. Rather than throwing away your leftover containers of food, put them in the fridge and heat them up for another meal later. 

3. 3. Pick up a new and sustainable hobby

chopping food and food prep

Lockdowns and quarantines are the perfect opportunity to explore and even pick up new hobbies. One of the most popular ones that I have noticed is cooking. Learning how to cook vegetarian or vegan dishes for you or your roommates is a sustainable practice that you can carry onward even after quarantine.

I hope these tips are things you can pick up easily! They will not only maintain COVID protocol, but they will also be far more sustainable for the planet.