10 Things You’re Stressing About College (but don’t really need to be!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Holy Cross chapter.

As I start to wrap up my first month on the Hill, I find myself already falling into habits and routines, ranging from where I do homework, to where I like to meet up with friends for an iced coffee when we all have some spare time. Now I can’t help but laugh at all the little things I was so worried about before the year even started – things I know almost every incoming freshman is just as stressed about as they enter college. So, here’s my list of things you’re definitely freaking out about but really don’t need to be!

1.     Getting a roommate – Trying to stay calm while sending your first message to the person you’ll be living with for the next year is nearly impossible. Will you like them? Will they like you? The truth is, your roommate turns into your first friend on campus and gives you an automatic person to eat with, to hang out with, and to just talk to while you’re both trying to meet tons of new people all at once. Even though you’re living with a complete stranger, there is an upside to it – not knowing anything about them means there’s always something to talk about and no awkward silence!

2.     Homesickness – Depending on how far away you live, seeing your family may not be for a while, but luckily they’re always only a phone call or a text message away. Keeping pictures of them in your room will definitely help to cheer you up when you’re feeling a little lonely or overwhelmed! Not to mention, your first four days of orientation will keep you so busy that you won’t even have time to think about anything except Holy Cross, and you’ll really be too excited to be sad.

3.     Meeting new friends – No one walks into college without worrying about meeting new people, and that’s a good thing! Everyone is all on the same page, they’ve left their group of friends and now have to make new ones.  Luckily, since everyone’s in the same position, you’re kind of forced to talk to people, and with such friendly faces, you’re bound to connect with more than a few of your new classmates.

4.     Eating alone – I know you think everyone will stare at you and completely judge you, but it only took a few days of real classes for me to realize SO many people eat by themselves, their only companion being their laptop and some homework, so just focus on your work or just eat peacefully knowing everyone else is doing the same.

5.     Showering – I’ll admit, it takes some getting used to, from bringing all your toiletries in a caddy, to wearing shower shoes, it really is an adjustment.  Holy Cross eases you in, though, by constant hot water and water pressure (most colleges just don’t have these luxuries!) You’ll develop a routine, find times that work for you, what times are busy, and you’ll get used to walking down the hall in only a towel, I promise.

6.     Gaining weight from dining hall food – Yes, the food can be fattening, but there are also a lot of healthier and equally as delicious options. With unlimited meal swipes your first year, you really need to learn to limit yourself so you keep a balanced diet. But, did you forget you’re going to school on Mount St James? Simply walking back from Kimball is a work out in itself.

7.     The first day of classes – It’s perfectly normal to be a little anxious; your professors are obviously extremely smart and definitely seem intimidating. The good thing is that your first day of class revolves around class rules and the syllabus, leaving extra time for the professor to talk about themselves. You’ll learn that not only are they human too, but extremely caring – they want you to do well, and they want to teach you.  Professors here really want to get to know their students and build a relationship with them – in very small classes, you really are more than just a number at Holy Cross. I remember in my second week, my professor called on me by name even though I hadn’t formally introduced myself yet!  Remember, if they didn’t actually care, they wouldn’t be teaching!

8.     Writing your first college paper – Most professors will prompt you to create an appointment or stop by during their office hours to discuss your paper with them and get feedback. Like I said, they want you to succeed, and will definitely appreciate that you went for help instead of waiting until the last minute and handing in a BS paper you wrote at 2am.

9.     Time management – Holy Cross only enrolls students in four courses, which believe me, is enough. The work load will definitely be a lot heavier than high school, but you also have more time in the day to do it all. It’s all about being productive and responsible. It’s better to form good study habits early on, but also don’t worry if you don’t have it all figured out in the first two weeks, you will find a schedule that works for you!

10.  Only doing school work & not having any fun – It may be a prestigious college, but it still is college! Don’t get all carried away in studying months in advance and miss out on opportunities to let go and relax or to explore what campus has to offer. It goes along with time management, create time for work and time for play! There’s something here for everybody, you just have to find what you like – whether it be one of our many clubs, a sport, or just hanging at events put on by CAB, there is definitely time for fun, even at a school like The Cross.

She's like whiskey in a teacup ~ College of the Holy Cross '19
If there's anything I've mastered in this life, it's a successful hair flip.