Photographer: Rebecca Margaret Nadeau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

When did you know that you wanted to pursue photography as a career? I think I knew for sure when I was in middle school. I have always had an interest in photography, but never thought of doing it as a career until my teacher talked about how her friend who is a photojournalist gets paid to travel and take pictures. I told myself at that point, that I wanted to be a photojournalist. While that is not really true anymore, I still have a huge passion for photographing people. That will always be a part of my life. It might not be my primary job in the future, but I will be doing it at least part time. 

Why did you choose Hollins instead of a school that focused solely on fine arts?I have to kind of laugh at this question. It was mainly because of my Dad. He outright refused to let me go to an art school. While I was not happy about it years ago, I am beyond satisfied now. If I had gone to an art school, I would not have even thought about double majoring in Communication Studies. Everything happens for a reason. I am so happy that I ended up at Hollins. I wouldn’t change that for anything.

What are your plans for after graduation?After graduation, I will be moving to Boston. I plan on attending Emerson to get my MA in Marketing/Advertising. 

What photography projects are you working on right now? I am currently working on my senior project. I am taking pictures of the female body (nude) in a style that is similar to Sally Mann’s. It is still in the making, so that is the best way I can describe it at the moment. [pagebreak]

Do you have any advice for students looking to start careers in photography?  Just shoot. Take pictures of anything and everything. Find your niche, and run with it. Have fun with it. Photography isn’t a difficult career, but there is a lot of competition out there with other photographers. You have to make a name for yourself and get yourself out there. Don’t just sit back and expect people to contact you. You are the one who needs to go out there and post ads on craigslist, for example. You can make connections that way. Your first client may just tell everyone they know about you, which will lead to more clients.

What’s your favorite thing about Hollins? The people. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. I know that can sound cliché, but that is just the way it is. When I first visited Hollins, I was greeted with open arms by almost everyone I met. I am sure that I am not the only one who had that experience.

What’s your camera of choice?My new Canon 5d Mark II. I am in love with it. 

Black and white or color photography?Both. There is a time and a place for both types. I don’t prefer one over the other. 

Digital or film photography?I prefer digital, but not in the Photoshop sense. I am not a fan of over manipulation. I don’t have a problem with film photography. I am actually doing that now for my final project. I am shooting and film, scanning the negatives, and printing digitally. Just like the previous question, there is a time and a place for each type.

Amber is a recent graduate from Hollins University. She greatly enjoyed her time as HC Hollins Editor-In-Chief and looks forward to seeing what great things new students bring to the branch.