Jenny Call, Hollins Chaplain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

Her Campus Hollins: Favorite book – fiction and non fiction? Why?

Jenny Call: Picking a favorite book is like trying to decide which of my children I love the most!  How about the most inspirational books I’ve read lately?  I’m a big fan of Brené Brown, a social work researcher who studies shame and vulnerability, particularly in women, so I connected with her latest work Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Love, Love, Parent, and Lead.  It helps me to reflect on how to share authentically in my work, heal from past hurts, and encourage others to do the same.  A fiction favorite of the past year was Barbara Kingsolver’s Flight Behavior.  I have enjoyed most of her books, particularly as they often involve the intersection of science and faith, two of my passions (I was a biology major and chemistry minor in college).

Her Campus Hollins: What inspires you? Why?

Jenny Call: I’m inspired by the way the spiritual intersects with the ordinary, and I see that so often.  It’s in those moments of awe, in the beauty of the natural world, or the surprises of both extraordinary joy or pain.  It reminds me that there is more to life that we can see, and greater hope to inspire our dreams.  I’m inspired by Hollins and her students and faculty and staff, how passions and creativity are shared in such amazing ways.  I love that the Greek word for “spirit” (pneuma) is the same word for “breathe” and “inspire”.  I like to think of how our inspiration is God breathing into us, just as God breathed life into the first human.

H.C.H: Any hobbies? What do you love about them? How did you get started?

J.C: At this phase of my life (a busy workload and two young children), I feel that I don’t have time for hobbies, but in every moment of free time, you can find me reading or writing.  They’ve both always been “sanctuary” activities for me, where I can retreat and find peace, but also can get renewed by new inspiration.

HCH: Why did you decide to become Hollins’ chaplain?

JC: I’ve always dreamed of working in campus ministry since I had such a positive spiritual experience in my college years, but there weren’t any positions available when I finished seminary.  I worked for 8 years as a chaplain for at-risk youth and developmentally disabled adults, and loved connecting with people’s stories and supporting them through their journey.  I particularly enjoyed mentoring young women and knew this would be part of my calling in the future.  The first time I came on the Hollins campus felt like a holy moment for me.  I was on my way to my son’s preschool play in the chapel (he was a student at Community School), and I literally stopped in my tracks when I saw the chapel.  I thought, “I would love to work there some day.”  I sent a Facebook friend request to the former chaplain, Jan Fuller, and a week later, she announced on Facebook that she would be leaving Hollins.  I sent her a message expressing my desire to learn more about the chaplain position, and thanks be to God, three months later, my dream came true. 

HCH: Favorite part of your job? Why?

JC: I love sharing in the stories of others.  It’s a sacred privilege to journey with someone, to know their hopes and fears, and to watch them work towards their dreams.  I see so much beauty in the potential of our students, and the hard work and dedication of our faithful faculty and staff.

HCH: Least favorite? Why?

JC: I always wish there was more time to do all the great things we dream up and plan, but we all have our limits and can’t do it all.  I don’t like the parts of the job that take away from meeting with students and engaging with the life of the campus, but understand that all the behind-the-scenes meetings, reports, and planning make all the wonderful parts worth it.

HCH: 2 things you wish students knew about you? Why?

JC: (1). I struggle with the things I encourage students to do (finding sanctuary, making time for rest, balancing responsibilities, practicing spiritual disciplines), so I’m still growing, too.
(2). I know that religion and church can be painful topics to people who have been hurt, judged, or excluded by them.  I believe in a God of love and grace that is welcoming to all and want to share that through all I do.

HCH: Do you have a favorite part of campus? Why?

JC: Definitely the Beale Garden.  I believe my office has the best view on campus!

HCH: Words of advice?

JC: My advice for students is always to “find sanctuary”.  There is a reason our weekly services are called “Sanctuary”.  It means a safe place, a place of rest, a holy space.  Sanctuary is a place, but also a mindset, a practice.  We seek sanctuary by determining what gives rest to our bodies and minds and renewal to our spirits.  What connects you with God and others?  What re-energizes and fuels you?  Is it reading, writing, napping, music, service?  Do more of that.  You can’t be the student/friend/person you want to be without taking care of your entire self—body, mind, and spirit.

HCH: Favorite movie?

JC: I don’t watch a lot of movies (without my kids anyway), but I absolutely loved “Frozen” and the message it shared about love, femininity, and strength.  The music was great, too, and is on constant repeat at my house right now.

HCH: What are your goals for the future?

JC: I will start a doctoral program this summer to help me to continue to grow in my skills for ministry here.  I have had a few essays published over the past year, and would love to write a book one day.

HCH: What brought you to your current religious path?

JC: I grew up in a religious Southern Baptist family, and the church always felt like a safe place and second family to me.  However, when I felt called to ministry, my home church said that God doesn’t call women to be pastors.  I had to wrestle with that, but never denied God’s calling.  Instead, I found a seminary and other churches that validated my gifts and calling.  I attend a Baptist church now, but my view of religion is much broader than it used to be.  I value the gifts of all faiths in pointing us to God.

HCH: What is your favorite thing you’ve done in your life?

JC: Mmm…tough one.  I would say that this phase of my life includes my favorite things I’ve done:  becoming comfortable with myself and my gifts, raising my kids with my husband (who became a stay-at-home dad so that I could accept this position), having a job that I love serving students, writing, teaching, mentoring, and finally being able to take some great vacations (our most recent was a Disney Cruise to the Western Caribbean).

HCH: What are you proudest of?

JC: My family: my husband, John, and my two kids: Brady (7) and Maryn (5)

HCH: Are there certain moments in which you feel very connected to God? What are they and what do you think they spring from?

JC: I feel connected to God when I’m walking; it’s like prayer to me.  I also feel God in connection and conversation with others.  I see God in the mystery of a world that I can’t quite understand, and yet I want to continue growing and learning more.  I feel God in hope, and hold out hope for God’s presence even in times of pain and silence.  I am inspired when I look back over my life and see how I’ve made it through difficult times, knowing that only faith in God could have brought me through.

HCH: Has there ever been a point where you struggled with your faith?

JC: Yes.  My crisis of faith was in college.  I am a type-A/perfectionist/planner kind of person.  I had my life all figured out (so I thought) by third grade.  I was going to study at the College of William and Mary and do scientific research.  My family had always told me I could be whatever I wanted, and I worked hard and got good grades.  Somehow I got the message that if I was a “good girl” and did all the right things, God would bless me and my life would turn out just as I had planned it.  But that didn’t happen.  I struggled with family issues, depression, and found out my dream career wasn’t a good fit.  I graduated without a plan for the first time in my life and was miserable.  I couldn’t understand where God was and what I was supposed to do.  I found a couple of menial jobs to pay the rent and a few friends for roommates and spent a year wandering aimlessly.  But during that time I was volunteering with my church’s youth group and really discovered my passion.  I had never thought about going into ministry, but suddenly it seemed as if God had opened that very door.  It wasn’t my plan, but it turned out to be much better.  I’ve been learning a lot in the 15 years since then about letting go and trusting God, even when I don’t know where God is leading.

HCH: What do you feel is the most important tool to use when dealing with young people? Is it a mindset? A physical tool? A way of living?

JC: I think the most important gift is compassion.  Everyone wants to feel accepted and understood.  We all want someone to listen and care.   That is what ministry is about to me.  I see God as the embodiment of love, and as one who trusts in God, I want to share that welcoming love with others.

HCH: Favorite event you’ve put on at Hollins?

JC: I love them all…I like the discussions at the weekly interfaith Sanctuary gatherings, I like the creative energy at our Art+Soul craft times, I learn from students as we do Bible study during Soul Food, and I’m inspired by the fun events and informative SRLA does like the Henna party for Eid, the movie for Holocaust Remembrance Day, and the skit competition for Purim.  Personally, I love concerts, and the Muslim Student Association brought Dawud Wharnsby.  In the fall, Christian recording artist Jennifer Knapp came in to do a concert and share about being a gay person of faith.  I look forward to many more great events!
Writer, artist and life enthusiast, Emery is a Sophomore at Hollins University, majoring in creative writing She is from Calfornia and has a love of cats.