Hollins Spirit Pageant 204

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

The 2014 Hollins Spirit Pageant on March 14th drew a huge crowd of students, faculty, parents, and visitors to the Moody dining hall.  The event, hosted by the Junior Class and spearheaded by 2015 president Georden West was executed flawlessly, and was a great time for all.

The theme was British Invasion, with Emcees Mercury and Hailey sporting faux British accents throughout the evening, and the contestants coming out in outfits channeling their favorite UK icons.

Each contestant was asked to showcase a talent, and the section involved a wide range of performances including singing, dancing, Elvis impersonations, and psychic readings.  Next, all the contestants returned to the stage sporting their Hollins Spirit outfits–ensembles that showed off the essence of Hollins, from sequins to school supplies to good old green and gold.

A first round of cuts was made, but all contestants stayed in a cheery mood–channeling the Hollins community’s spirit.  Moody was full of British hits new and old with everyone dancing, onstage and off.  As a fundraising opportunity, the audience was allowed to vote in a Miss Congeniality contest for one dollar.

Eventually, the judges (a panel of faculty) eventually chose a top five, who modeled their formal wear.  And, at last, the winners were announced, and all of Moody went wild.  Music was blasted, and the audience stood on chairs to dance and sing along.  The whole room was filled with good feelings and the event perfectly represented the great comraderie of the Hollins campus.

Talent Award: Sam Dozal ’17

Hollins Congeniality: Natalie Johnson ’14

Second Runner Up: Bryanne Carter ’17

First Runner Up: Sam Dozal ’17

Winner: Chanice Holmes ’16 

Taylor is a first-year student at Hollins University hoping to major in English/Creative Writing with a minor in Film. She is a Pisces with a love for poetry, French films, and all things pink.