Campus Celebrities SGA Edition – HAB Chair Hopeful Miranda Coble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

As many of us know, SGA elections are tomorrow and we’ll spend the day deciding what students will run our school for the 2012-2013 school year. The HC
Hollins Team knows that’s kind of a big deal, so we interviewed several of the students running for SGA positions to hear about their campaigns, goals and qualifications in their own words.

I sat down with Miranda Coble (running opposite Bethany O’Neil for Hollins Activity Board Chair) after she presented her election speech. Check out what she has to say about the importance of social media campaigns and defying the HAB ‘pearl girl’ stereotype.

Amber Rambharose (AR): You’ve already done your speech and our readers can catch all the SGA Candidate speeches on our YouTube Channel, but is there anything that you want to reiterate that you want our readers to know about when they’re voting?

Miranda Coble (MC): I mentioned in my speech the importance of Facebook and other social media networks, and using them as resources for publicity as well as an open forum for students to communicate about the events that they are looking for and events to attend on campus. Its also the way I plan to connect myself more to the Hollins community and to the board. A lot of it is going to be in the realm of social media because we are a generation that is all about social media. It’s so accessible and available to us as college students and just as a media inclined generation, to always have our cell phones with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr or Instagram. So I think that getting HAB involved in this aspect of social media will really amplify our face and our voice in the Hollins community and make us just as accessible as these social media networks. 

AR: So you’re very much about using 21st century communication as a way to increase accessibility to HAB?

MC: Exactly.

AR: If you could describe yourself as HAB Chair in three words that encompass your goals, what would those three words be?

MC: Passionate, bubbly and all-encompassing. I would say I am very passionate about event planning. Coming in as a first semester freshman and serving on HAB, I really fell in love with it. It actually made me change my major from Psychology to Communication Studies because it is something I want to pursue after college. And ‘bubbly’ because nothing is worth doing if you can’t have fun doing it. My personality and my somewhat quirkiness and my happy-go-lucky outlook on life will really make the HAB meetings enjoyable and make being at our events enjoyable. Then I would say ‘all-encompassing’ because it’s a goal that I have for the board. I don’t want people to see HAB and think ‘there are the pearl girls…there are the sorority girls, there’s an exclusive group that I can never be a part of.’ I want them to know that you can be a part of it, even if you don’t serve on the general mems and VP boards or as a chair, our weekly meetings are open for any student to attend. So being all encompassing, inviting the Hollins Community to come to our events, and also planning and executing more diverse events by co-sponsoring with other clubs would attest to my being ‘all-encompassing.’ 

Be sure to check out the other SGA Candidate interviews and remember to vote tomorrow in the Moody Student Center between 8:30 AM and 9:30 PM!

Amber is a recent graduate from Hollins University. She greatly enjoyed her time as HC Hollins Editor-In-Chief and looks forward to seeing what great things new students bring to the branch.