Brittany-Marie Aarons, 16′

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

Brittany-Marie Aarons, “Bree,” is a sophmore at Hollins University. She is known for her incredible talent in dancing and her sweet personallity. She is part of OUTLOUD and the Hollins Repertory Dance Company. Her Campus Hollins sat down with her to ask her about dancing , life, and more dancing.

Her Campus Hollins: What is your major, why did you pick it, and what do you hope to do with it?

Brittany-Marie Aarons: I’ve chosen to pursue a double major in Dance & Psychology. I have a keen interest in Pediatric, Social & Abnormal Expressive Therapy, which involves using the creative arts (dance, music, drama, art) as a means of therapy for children with abnormalities, trauma, disorders and disabilities.

Her Campus Hollins: What drew you to Hollins?

Brittany- Marie Aarons: I was immediately drawn to Hollins when I found out about their small campus population. I’d come from a fairly large all-girls’ high school, with a student-teacher ratio of about 40:1. I didn’t think it was possible to have a class smaller than 15 students. I knew such small classes would present opportunities so I had to go for it.

HCH: Where do you see yourself in the future?

BMA: Goodness, I see so much in my future! Especially after attending Hollins for a year, so many windows of opportunity have opened. However, I will say I see myself working with children (somewhere in the world). If I could, I’d do it non-profit, simply because it is my undying passion. I also see myself having at least two puppies.

HCH: What  are a few of your favorite pieces of music to dance to? How much do they differ from your normal taste in music?

BMA: My taste in music has expanded tremendously over the past year. I’ve found myself listening to a lot of Lana Del Rey, Africana Gospel & Congo Drumming and movie/film scores. They’re really different from my very mainstream Pop and Soca music preferences simply because the provide such diversity in sound, beat and rhythmic quality. However, I always revert to my Jamaican roots and find various alternative remixes to my favourite Jamaican/Caribbean songs for my choreography.

HCH: Do you have a role model or someone who’s influenced your life strongly? What made them such a big impact?

BMA: I have quite a handful of role models. However, the most outstanding one at the moment is a junior (at Hollins) by the name of Chanice Holmes. She’s become a dear sister to me and has helped me find a fire within myself that I never knew existed. She’s a fierce, fearless firecracker, with unmatched spunk and an unconditionally loving spirit. Her determination and drive keep her passion alive, and it’s remarkable to see her grow every day. She’s been my greatest inspiration since I’ve attended Hollins and it would be an honour to be able to follow in her footsteps.

HCH: Do you feel Hollins has helped you grow? If so, how?

BMA: Hollins has definitely helped me discover sides to myself that I never knew existed. I’ve developed such an open mind, and rekindled a passion for service. I’ve grown to value the importance of sisterhood, and realized that life can be a thrill once you have the right perspective. I’ve always had dreams, but Hollins has helped me see that I am a woman who is going places. (Oh, that’s another thing, I’ve also started calling myself a woman. That’s also quite empowering).

HCH: Hobbies outside of dance?

BMA: I absolutely LOVE watching classical movies and documentaries. I also enjoy social service, casual reading (whenever I get the chance), and socializing. My favourite thing to do is meet new people. That never gets old. :)

HCH: You recently landed a dance internship in New York. Congrats! You deserve it! Do you have any hopes for the internship? How did it come about? Did you have to audition? If so, what was that like?

BMA: Thank you! I was in tears when I found out. An internship in New York is an absolute dream. I applied for the competitive internship at the Career Center, and about two weeks later, I found out I’d gotten the position! I’ll be working with the National Dance Institute, a non-profit organization whose main goal is to use the art of dance to transform the lives of underprivileged children in New York City. Right up my alley. It really is too good to be true!

HCH: Any words of advice?

BMA: My words of advice to anyone, whether they be applying for interships, or simply trying to make it through college life would be to live your dream. The fact that you made it thus far is proof that you’re working your own magic. Every moment is a step closer to your own unique future. Make every second count. It’s your time. Own it.

HCH: Favorite book or film?

BMA: I’ve watched so many movies, it’s so difficult to answer this one. I’d have to say Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” would be at the top of my list for now.

HCH: What was your dance instructor before you came to Hollins? What were they like? Was there any invaluable advice given?

BMA: Before coming to Hollins, I attended the Tony Wilson’s School of Modern Dance, and I had the privilege of being taught by Tony Wilson himself. He was probably the strictest man alive, but he taught me discipline that still follows me to this day. He never gave me any specific advice, but there are lessons learned in the studio that I’ll never forget. The most important one being that confidence goes a long way, and even if you don’t feel confident on the inside, projecting confidence in stature and style can make all the difference in a world of opportunity.

HCH: Were you ever in a dance troupe? If so did you have a favorite performance? What parts did you play?

BMA: Yes, Tony Wilson’s School of Modern Dance was a dance troupe, and I was a member of the Junior Ensemble (a position all hoped to achieve someday). My most distinct performance was when I was 13 years old (not yet in the JE). I was so desperate to make an impression that one day I just let myself go. My kicks went from 90 to 180 degrees, my flexibility and strength were unmatched  and I was just a meteor of energy flying across the stage. I have no idea what happened that night and it still hasn’t happened since. I’m still trying to rediscover that moment to this day.

HCH: What kind of dance do you do?

BMA: I’m still trying to figure out what to call my style of dance. I’ll stick to modern-contemporary-interpretive for now.

HCH: How old were you when you started dancing? Do you think dancing is something you’ll pursue in the future? When did you know you wanted to dance?

BMA: I started dancing at the age of two, and I absolutely hated it. However, of all my extracurricular activities, dance was the one thing my parents never allowed me to quit. I fell in love with it at about age 15 and haven’t looked back since. I don’t see myself performing in the future (ugh, I despise performing), but I do see myself making pieces for the rest of my life.

HCH: What are you proudest of?

BMA: My proudest achievement to this day was founding and directing the Gifted Creative Arts Summer Camp in July 2011. It fueled the fire of my passion for children and the creative arts. I was only 17, still a child myself, but I did prove that age is never an impediment when it comes to success. From the first day of that Summer camp, I knew I’d found my life’s dream, and I’ve worked everyday to make it happen.

Writer, artist and life enthusiast, Emery is a Sophomore at Hollins University, majoring in creative writing She is from Calfornia and has a love of cats.