Your Guide to Winning Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Black Friday shopping is approaching! It’s almost that time of year to find crazy sales and deals on the products that you probably wouldn’t buy for full price. Several brands and stores do huge markdowns on everyday items, and honestly, taking advantage of Black Friday is a must. Not all stores have special promotions, but keep your eye out for semi-annual sales, or other holiday discounts. If you’re a first time Black Friday shopper, or even a veteran, check out this guide to help you maximize your products for the least amount of money!

Choose how you’ll shop: Are you going to shop from the comfort of your home, or are you going to brave the crowds and go in person? There are pros and cons to each one. If you know what you’re looking for, you can easily make that purchase from your computer. On the other hand, if you want to try things on, and experiment a little, then going to the store in person might be your best bet. The store may also be giving out special promotions for guests who are present, so you definitely don’t want to miss that!

Do your research: It is big no-no to go into stores not knowing what you want. By spending time wandering around aimlessly and looking for who knows what, you could be missing out on an incredible deal. Go through your closet, or your home to see what clothing items, appliances or other things you might need before you head to the store. Having a list will save you so much time, and you’ll be able to grab the things you know you need or want this season.

Photo by Anna Dziubinska on Unsplash

Pick when you go shopping: Obviously, timing is important. As a four-year veteran of Black Friday shopping, I always go right after Thanksgiving dinner. The stores close for a period of time but re-open at midnight that Thursday. The deals are the same, and you totally avoid all the craziness of actually going on Friday. If you’re not too stuffed with food, you should shoot your energy back up and go shopping Thursday night.

Create a budget: Even though products are significantly cheaper, it’s smart to go into shopping with a limit of how much you should spend. Making a list, and holding on to your receipts from each store, will help you keep track of how much money you spend. You want to get the sales without breaking the bank.

Be positive when shopping: You might not get everything you are looking for on Black Friday, and that’s okay. Be happy with what you were able to get and be proud that you were able to save some money. Remember there’s always next year!

Well, there you have it, an easy guide to getting the most out of your Black Friday experience. Also don’t forget, if Black Friday isn’t for you, there’s always Cyber Monday!

I'm a Jersey girl who loves fashion! I also have a passion for reading and writing. I enjoy spending time with family and friends and love trying new things!