This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Looking for a way to de-clutter your wardrobe, spend less money, and wear more of what you already own? A capsule wardrobe may be perfect for you! Fall is upon us, so it’s time to change out those tank tops for sweaters and shorts for jeans. Why not take the chance to simplify your closet? Here is your guide to creating the perfect fall capsule wardrobe!

What is a capsule wardrobe?

I originally came across the concept of a capsule wardrobe from the Youtube video, “5 Days Of A Capsule Wardrobe”. In the video, Lucie Fink describes a capsule wardrobe as a closet of “a few essential items” that are versatile. The ultimate goal is to own fewer items of clothing, but be able to create numerous looks.

Fall Capsule Wardrobe

Once I found out what items are typically included in a capsule wardrobe, I browsed through my closet to pick out my fall essentials. I eventually narrowed my fall capsule wardrobe down to 11 clothing items and 4 shoes/accessories (excluding undergarments and jewelry).

Clothes:

– 2 jackets (denim and olive green)

– 2 sweaters

– 1 denim shirt

– 2 shirts (long sleeved striped shirt, plain white tee)

– 3 pairs of pants (light and dark denim, black)

– 1 dress

Shoes/Accessories

– 1 purse

-1 pair of sunglasses

– 2 pairs of shoes (brown booties, black sneakers)

Other items you could include could be a long knitted cardigan, a scarf, gym clothes, a blazer, and a pair of heels. The basis of a capsule wardrobe should be items you wear on a day-to-day basis and should fit your style necessities. Most examples of capsule wardrobes tend to stick to basic tones, but don’t be afraid to add in pops of color! I love to wear pink, so I included some pink sweaters to add some fun!

Putting together looks

With the items in your capsule wardrobe, you should be able to assemble several outfits. For example, I could wear my pink sweater with my black pants, jean jacket, brown booties, and my sunglasses. I could also wear the white tee with the denim shirt on top with the dark wash jeans and black sneakers. The possibilities are endless when you have items that complement and work with each other.

Thoughts

The concept of a capsule wardrobe can be a great method for those who are looking for a change, a challenge, or a bang for your buck. Personally, I don’t think I’ll continue with the capsule wardrobe, but it has opened my eyes to how often I take clothing for granted. Everyone has those moments when they look in their closet and claim they have nothing to wear. With the capsule wardrobe, you know the things you have and how to wear them. Although my closet won’t be getting smaller any time soon, I will do better to wear all that I own equally to ensure I get the most use of my closet!

All other photos courtesy of Paige Strout

Paige Strout is a senior journalism major and the Vice President of Hofstra University's Her Campus chapter. Since joining her freshman year, Paige has held the positions of Facebook, Instagram and Instagram Story Editor. She aspires to be an entertainment/fashion writer and hopes to one day become a Spice Girl.