This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you have watched HBO’s “The Last of US,” you need to be. With the first season done, and the show renewed for a second season, now is the perfect time to binge watch or use your free trial. Here are a few of reasons you need to start watching. *Light spoilers for the first episode*

The characters: The show is about Joel, a man hardened by the choices he’s had to make and those he’s lost, and Ellie, the young girl he is tasked with transporting across the U.S. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is the emotional core of the story. Joel, whose daughter died twenty years ago when the infection first spread, must learn how to allow himself to care for someone again. Ellie, who has never known her parents and has also lost the people closets to her, learns how to trust someone. The two also are not all what they seem; they don’t trust each other early on and it is a real struggle for them to connect. However, their journey, both physical and emotional, is compelling in a way so few shows are able create.

The acting: Pedro Pascal as Joel and Bella Ramsey as Ellie both delivers top performances. With the shows sharp turns from heartfelt to violent action, they are forced to deliver the most extreme ends of the emotional spectrum. Guest stars also deliver incredible performances that draw viewers into the world and their lives.

The story: Most of the show follows Joel and Ellie as they travel across the country. They interact with the danger of the infected, the wilderness, and people. Interspersed throughout the episodes are flashbacks where depth is added to the plot and characters are flushed out.

The behind the scenes: After every episode the creators of the show release a podcast. They go over the choices that were made in production and the meaning behind some of the smallest moments. For fans of the video game, they discuss the differences and how they approached adapting the source material. Insight into acting decisions, props, music and sets are shared as well as personal stories about their connection to the story.

The infected: Though the show is not as heavy on the action and horror elements of the game, there are still plenty of interaction with the infected. Different phases of the infected are shown with people who have just been bite as well as the “super” infected. Ellie’s connection to the infected creates a compelling mystery for viewers to ponder, along with the usual wonder that surrounds surviving an apocalypse. The infected serve as both the antagonist to the story as well as something to ponder.

Season two: With recent news that the show will be renewed for a second season, fans rejoiced. The second part of the video game focuses on Ellie and a very different journey. Fans are not just excited about the story though, but that the show, which has had multiple episodes that have been “review bombed” by angry viewers, will continue to tell the stories that angered these viewers. These stories being focused on the LGBTQ characters in the show.

Already watched the show? Played the game? Let us know your thoughts and happy streaming.

Olivia Hillestad is a freshman journalism major at Hofstra University. She is originally from Washington state and loves to read, watch movies, and play with her cats.