Why Your Friends from High School are No Longer Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

You’ve laughed, and cried, and had the best times of your lives together. You’ve known each other for years. So why is it over?

A lot can change over the years. People change and so do you change. Things just aren’t the same as they used to be. The simple answer is; people grow apart. Change can be too much to handle. Our lives get busier, we have different priorities, and we make new friends. We lose touch and it’s sad to think about it, but that’s the reality of it. Our friends from high school just aren’t as close to us as they used to be.

For some girls, high school was either the best time ever or the worst time ever. Some girls are overjoyed to be able to leave and start fresh at a new place. They can’t wait to leave the past behind and never look back. In that case, they probably won’t keep any of their high school friends except for maybe one or two.

On the other hand, some girls loved high school. They had a lot of friends but can’t figure out what happened. Why their high school friends aren’t their friends anymore. Why they aren’t as close as they used to be.

In reality, these people we used to be friends with are still our friends, they just aren’t as close to us anymore. We will always think of them as a friend rather than a stranger or an acquaintance. However, things change. People grow from their high school persona and become more mature. Not to say that your friends don’t change. But you grow in different ways. This could be due to the fact that you’re in different locations, you want different things in life, and new people are influencing your life.

Student at Hofstra University majoring in journalism.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.