Why European Men Surpass American Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

So far on my adventure in Europe, I have tried vegan gelato, wine straight from the heart of Chianti, and some delicious Italian men. Yes I have fully embraced my Lizzie McGuire moment and allowed myself to be swept away by some pretty enchanting Casanovas and you know what? I’m not sure if I want to go back to America anymore! Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being an American guy but based on my experiences abroad I do have to say that the grass is greener on the other side. Here’s just a few reasons why American guys have some serious competition in the dating world. 

They’re True Gentlemen

Just because we don’t have Queens in America, doesn’t mean I don’t deserve to be treated like a Princess! Never in my life have I met an American guy who treats me like the men in Europe and I can attribute this to the differences in our two cultures. Men in America and men in Europe are both raised very differently, and being a total gentleman is expected in the European dating game. Often times upon visiting the states, European men are astonished by the ways that American men ‘pick up’ women and the kind of laissez-faire romance that we’re used to doesn’t fly over seas. In order to pursue someone in Europe, you have to charm her with your manners and show her that your mother raised you to treat a lady with chivalry and courtesy. Best part is, these guys don’t just pull out all of the stops to get something sexual in return. This is because European children are raised with stronger family values and expectations than children are in America, meaning they are taught to acknowledge the needs of others before serving their own. 

They’re Put Together

When they tell you that Europeans dress to impress, they mean it. There is a societal expectation within most European cultures to look your best at all times and lucky for us ladies, this includes the men! European men care about fashion and looking polished for every occasion and will even go above and beyond by doing things that American men would never even dream of doing, like getting their eyebrows waxed. Being put together doesn’t emasculate a man in Europe, it elevates them to a higher status of masculinity. 

Those Accents *swoon*

This one goes without a lot of explanation but an accent can make something as pedestrian reading a grocery list instantly sexy. English, French, Italian, Dutch, we don’t care just say our names and we will melt like Belgian chocolate on a hot day.

They Don’t Play The Same Games

Unlike American guys, European men aren’t raised on the same porn-crazed, hookup expectations that we have sadly become accustomed to. Sexual education is taught extremely differently in Europe than it is in America and honest communication is not see as taboo. European guys are much more likely to be honest with how they feel in a relationship and they don’t have the same qualms about commitment that we see in the states. This goes along with the way that they are raised but manners and respect are very important to European men and they will don’t need to play games to see if a girl is interested. They keep it simple, the way it should be 

They Don’t Have The Same Standards of Beauty

One of the best parts about dating European men is that European men don’t hold you to the same standards of beauty that we see in the United States. Sure, we’ve all seen waifish European women strutting the runways but European men understand that not every girl looks like a model from a magazine. They realize that some women have curves, a flat butt, acne on their periods, but overall are more interested in dating a real girl as opposed to some porn fantasy. Don’t get me wrong, European men still like a woman who is put together but in Europe with the way that the media portrays the modern woman, they are used to seeing beauty in a much less superficial manner than we are. 

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.