This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

There’s an ongoing trend where, as a whole, girls are made fun of for liking LITERALLY ANYTHING. And with this concept comes the popular ideal where girls feel the need to separate themselves from the rest. Yes, I am talking about the “I’m not like other girls” phenomenon. With this article, I hope to let all of our readers know that it is, in fact, okay to be like other girls and that there is nothing wrong with liking what might get you labeled as a “basic b*tch”.

To get everyone on the same page, let’s start with the definition of a “basic b*tch.” Dictionary.com defines the phrase basic b*tch as “a term used to condescendingly refer to women who have predictable or unoriginal style, interests, or behavior. The term has been criticized as misogynistic, though it has been reclaimed, to some extent, by women who have been labeled basic b*tches.” The later part of this definition is the most important because it emphasizes the newly found confidence whin the group that hopefully continues to grow. This very concept has been used in a belittling manner for far too long.

*Photo courtesy of Pok Rie from Pexels

Speaking from experience, there’s an unnecessary level of shame that comes with actively enjoying something that’s frequently being made fun of. You should be allowed to like what you do without feeling the need to hide it. Popular things are popular for a reason: because they’re good! Common interests should be used to make stronger connections and bring people together. They shouldn’t be used as an opportunity to tear someone down.

Since there are certain expectations that women are supposed to meet, there is then a sense of the need for resistance. For example, since birth, girls are assigned the color pink and boys the color blue. It is because of this that while growing up, girls may feel a sort of disdain towards pink. It represents everything they were expected to be since the literal moment they were born. When you are told over and over again who you are supposed to be, it fuels the fire of wanting to be anything else. If something has been deemed to be basic, then people may go out of their way to distance themselves from said things. Terms like “basic b*tch” are used only against women in an attempt to make them feel bad for following the status quo, even though that’s exactly what we’re “supposed” to be doing. This constant tug-of-war between wanting to be ourselves but also being afraid of the different ways society does, and will continue to, label and discriminate against us is tiring. We’re told to be ourselves, but be unique, and to get along with everyone, but don’t be like anyone. There is nothing wrong with being a “basic b*tch” if it means that you’re being yourself.

People have a toxic tendency of wanting to place everything into categories. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that for years, harmful female stereotypes have been portrayed throughout all types of media. Encompassed in this are the popular troupes of being “ just one of the guys” and “the girl next door.” While there is nothing wrong with fitting into one of these categories, it once again reinforces this made up polarity. Everyone is so much more than one thing, but this idea gets lost when we are repeatedly seeing one-dimensional female characters. With the concept repeatedly being seen, it is easy for society to continually try and fit females into easy to understand and identify groups. There is an ideal brought upon us by the patriarchy that makes society more susceptible to value masculinity over feminity. This, in part, is why girls feel the need to be outwardly un-girly.

* Photo courtesy of Prateek Katyal from Pexels

In some aspects, we’re all a little bit “basic”, and that’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying the things that you do. Don’t let society try to make you ashamed of the things you like. So order your pumpkin spice lattes, sing Taylor Swift at the top of your lungs, use a dozen hashtags on your Instagram post, and binge watch Sex and the City. Go out and live the life that you want!