Life > Experiences

What We learned as First Year Students as a Commuter and a Resident.

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

After finishing freshman year of college as a commuter and a resident, Daniella and Olivia with Her Campus Hofstra have a few tips for incoming students! 

Adjusting:

Commuter – The truth is that the first semester of college was hard. Even with being a commuter and living at home, you’re still on your own in a way you’ve never been before. The adjustment to college, especially the first week, isn’t something you can prepare for. It can become very overwhelming. However, you will soon get used to the changes and get adjusted. It was great still living at home because it was so comforting to have a support system to lean on as you got adjusted to this new life. 

Resident – The first week, and really the whole first semester, sucks. Starting college is hard, you’re on your own in a way you haven’t been before, add to that moving across the country and you can feel really alone. I cried almost nonstop my first week and called my mom every day. Once classes started though and I got used to the changes, I felt a lot better- And the second semester was a much easier transition back.

Breaks:

Resident – Breaks don’t have to suck. Being so far away I only go home for winter and summer break, leaving me alone for all the others. I got really lucky during Thanksgiving break when a friend invited me to stay with her family and really appreciated them for letting me celebrate with them. For spring break, I stayed on campus and realized it actually wasn’t as boring as I thought. I got a lot of work done and found something to do or somewhere to go every day.

Food:

Commuter – Is buying the meal plan worth it? That depends on how much you plan on eating on campus. The food can be expensive- but so can the meal plan. After bringing food from home half the time and buying food the other half, personally, purchasing the meal plan didn’t make sense. Unless your classes are very spread out timewise or you plan on spending a lot of time on campus, the meal plan may not be for you. You should wait a semester and see how much food you actually eat on campus!

Getting Involved:

Commuter – This is so important! Whether it’s finding a club you enjoy or joining Greek life, there are so many ways to get involved on campus. This is also the best way to meet new people! The one downside is that a lot of clubs meet at night, meaning either you’ll have to drive back to school or stay late. However, clubs are also a great way to destress from school! Getting involved also looks great on your future resume!

Resident – Always say yes! This year I’ve gotten the opportunity to do and see some really incredible things, many of which I was unsure about at first. Saying yes to any opportunity can lead to things you never thought you would do.

Professors & Office Hours:

Commuter – Go to office hours and the tutoring center! After going to office hours, your professors will see that you’re putting in effort and will probably try to help you out in the long run. (This is also a great way to make connections for future letters of recommendation!) Additionally, a lot of your professors won’t be as bad as you think. Of course, you’ll get ones that you’re not a fan of, but there will be some awesome ones! 

Resident – Talk to your professors. Your professors are not scarier than your high school teachers. If you have a question about an assignment or want advice on what you could be doing to get a better grade don’t be afraid to ask them.

School Resources:

Resident – Use the resources on campus. I got sick earlier this semester and waited way too long to go see the health center. Use the resources on your campus, they are there for a reason!

Friends:

Commuter – In all honesty, it’s going to be harder making friends as a commuter. First semester was definitely a struggle at meeting people. However, after joining clubs, going Greek, and getting involved on campus, there was a clear difference! The best advice is to put yourself out there, get involved on campus, and talk to people in your classes. Remember to be patient. You will meet your people- promise! 

Studying:

Commuter – As someone who needs it to be silent when doing homework and studying, living at home was the best option. Being able to complete your work and study in the quiet of your home was so refreshing. However, campus has so many perfect study spots! From going to the library, finding a quiet area outside, or finding a comfy table in the back of the dining hall. 

Resident – Not everyone studies the same. I like to work in public areas when I study, some people like the quiet. Some people can do work and talk, and some can’t. For some people an essay is a lot of work and for some three projects worth is very little. Don’t be afraid to take the time and space to study how you want to.

Staying Organized:

Commuter – It was super hard getting used to juggling multiple courses with various due dates. There are a lot of different things you’ll have to remember at once and it quickly gets overwhelming. Buy a planner! It was such a great investment, and it was the perfect tool to stay organized and to help with getting adjusted to your college-level classes.

Resident – Planning and having a schedule helps a lot. I’ve always liked having my days planned out and having a day for laundry and a set bedtime- a routine of any kind can really help you feel put together.

Academic Goals:

Resident – You might do well! In my first semester, I earned a 4.0 and it looks like I will earn the same this semester. Before starting college, I had no idea that this was a goal that could be achievable for me or anyone else. Of course, it differs greatly by major and even person to person but don’t sell yourself short. If you want it, you can make it happen.

FOMO:

Commuter – FOMO can be a big thing in college, especially as a commuter. It may be hard seeing people around you and your friends from high school having a “more fun” time than you are. Remember that not everything you see on social media is what it seems. Just keep putting yourself out there! Also, keep in mind that everyone is still figuring out this ‘college thing’ just like you are.

Missing Family:

Resident – Make the most out of your time at home. Make time to meet up with some of your friends back home, see your grandparents, spend the day with your siblings and enjoy getting to be around the people you care about. Call your parents or your friends often. Even just a quick check-in can make you feel better and like you’re not missing anything back home.

The Commute:

Commuter – Plan out the route of your drive before school starts! The last thing you need on the first day is to be late due to traffic or get lost. When it comes to parking, the commuter lots will most likely be full no matter the time. The trick is to find a parking lot that is usually quiet at any time. (This parking lot will unfortunately probably be farther from the center of campus, making it a bit longer of a walk to your classes.) However, this will always guarantee you parking! 

Closing thoughts:

Commuter – After a full year of college as a commuter, it was definitely the best decision! Freshman year is an adjustment like never before, so getting to come home every day was definitely refreshing. Just know that everyone is trying their best to get settled in and find themselves just like you are. College is not a race- go at your own pace and you’ll have an amazing time!

Resident – I picked the right school. At the beginning of the year, I was really worried that I had chosen the wrong school. But after this year where I got to do so many cool things and meet some incredible people, I know that I did make the right choice.

Olivia Hillestad is a freshman journalism major at Hofstra University. She is originally from Washington state and loves to read, watch movies, and play with her cats.
Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.