Ways to Give Back During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The holidays are a very joyous time for most of us but sadly, some people in the United States are struggling with many different things. This makes the holidays an especially difficult time for them. It is very important to do at least one thing to give back and spread happiness during this time of the year. Of course, it is also important to take time to do these things year-round as well.

1. Soup Kitchen

This is the classic “good deed” that you see in almost every TV show and movie. In real life, not many people think to volunteer in a soup kitchen. Especially if you’re in a city area, this is the perfect way to give back. I have helped in a soup kitchen before and the people I was serving were so friendly and nice. They have suffered very difficult lives, but were so happy just to hear about what I was doing in school and to have people to be nice to them.

2. Donate to Food Pantries

There are tons of food pantries, even in small towns; just do some research or reach out to a local church or other charity organization. Around the holidays, so many families cannot put a Thanksgiving, Christmas or Hanukkah meal on their table. Donating any canned food you have leftover in your house is more helpful than you’d think. Some pantries will even collect donations to buy ham or turkey for family meals on holidays.

3. Buy Toys for Families

It must be so hard for parents to have to tell their kids Santa isn’t coming because they can’t afford any toys. Unfortunately, that is the reality so many people face in our country. I went to a homeless shelter that, every year, collect toys and clothes for children of all ages. I helped hand out toys and the parents were so happy and thankful their kids would get to wake up with a present on Christmas morning. Other organizations, sometimes stores, will let you buy a toy they will then send to families. This little deed can make a world of difference to these families.

4. Hand Out Socks

You are probably have a warm house to sit in as it snows outside this winter, but so many homeless people are out on the streets. One time I went to Philadelphia with an organization and we handed out bags of socks, scarves and gloves, and a little bag of pretzels and juice. Surprisingly, socks were the most popular item. Of course, do not do this on your own. Find an organization that will plan it or at least do it with a big group of adults. The amount of happiness a single pair of socks brought to these people made it all worth it.

5. Send Cards to Troops Overseas

It is probably so difficult to be stationed overseas during the holidays, away from your family. Our military sacrifices so much for our safety and freedom. Writing a holiday card to our troops overseas is a really nice gesture to say thank you for their sacrifices. It will really brighten up their holiday and remind them we appreciate everything they do.

6. Sing at Hospitals

Many families are having a difficult time, spending their holidays in a hospital for various reasons. One time my choir went and caroled at a hospital in all different wards and the patients appreciated it so much. This is an amazing way to bring the holiday joy and cheer to people who could really use it. You can reach out to your local hospital and put together a group to just sing simple carols. But make sure you respect anyone who wants privacy if you’re singing near rooms.

7. Spend Time at Nursing Homes

My church also carols in a couple different nursing homes every year. Some of the elderly people at these homes are very lonely and don’t have much family left. They always love when we come and sing, but mostly they love the conversation we have with them. They love to ask about school and what we like to do for fun. It brightens up their day just to have people come and spend time with them. Often times, they’ll invite us in their rooms or apartments because they are so excited to have company.

8. Donate Old Clothes or Toys

Although earlier I said to buy a toy for places collecting them for kids, donating your old toys and clothes to places like Purple Heart, makes such a difference to many people. So many foster children and homeless families could use the unwanted things you have sitting in the  corner of your house.

9. Give Money to a Homeless Person

Many of us pass that homeless person on the street who is begging for money because our society teaches us to assume the worst. This is such a simple good deed you can do; just stop and give $5 to a homeless person on the street. It could really make a difference to someone who doesn’t know where their next meal is coming from.

10. Donate at an Animal Shelter

So many poor animals are getting old and suffering at animal shelters. Most shelters kill pets that get too old because people don’t want to adopt them. Depending on your local shelter’s rules, you can go and volunteer your time by playing with some of the animals there. It will make them so happy to have people to play with them. Some shelters will also let you donate toys as well. If you’re feeling really generous and have the ability to, adopt one of the older cats or dogs. You would be saving their life by giving them a good home.

11. Spread Holiday Cheer

The simplest  thing to do is just try to spread joy while doing about your usual day. So many people get really stressed around the holiday season, even though it is meant to be a happy time! Smile at as many people as possible and brighten up their day!

Amanda is a student at Hofstra University studying public relations with minors in design and radio/tv/film. She loves to dance, paint, and experiment with vegetarian cooking. Amanda loves being involved in her sorority, Alpha Theta Beta, as well as being a volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters on campus. Additionally, she loves animals, environmental advocacy, communications, and event planning. (Please note that Her Campus nationals removed photos from articles that existed before 2019 and therefore my original photos are not included for those articles)
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.