The Ultimate Guide to the Best Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Halloween is one of the best times of year to be scared on purpose and to have fun believing in all that is magical and haunted.  One of the absolute best ways to get in the Halloween spirit is to watch a ton of spooky scary Halloween movies with friends!  Keep reading to get some ideas on which movies you should watch this year!

Classic Horror Movies

For many people, horror movies are a super important tradition.  Some of the absolute classics are Scary Movie (2000), The Exorcist (1973), The Shining (1980), Scream (1996), A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Night of the Living Dead (1968) and of course, Halloween (1978) and its sequels. Also, it never hurts to watch some Alfred Hitchcock movies like Psycho (1960), The Birds (1963), and Rear Window (1954).  These classics aren’t all necessarily Halloween movies, but they still will give you that nostalgic spooky feeling.  These movies are also great if you’re trying to get into scarier movies but the newer (more realistic) ones are just too much to handle.  These classics will ease you into the scarier stuff without being too horrifying!

Modern Horror Movies

I’m not a big horror movie fan myself (at least not the genuinely scary ones) but some of the more recent ones that everyone’s been raving about are It (2017), Get Out (2017), Ouija (2016), and 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016).  While those are just a few, there are plenty of super scary modern horror movies out there. It all depends on your taste, because I’ve definitely heard many people have very different opinions on these.

For the Faint of Heart

For those who can’t handle those super intense, suspenseful horror films, but still love Halloween, have no fear!  Some of the best movies for those of us who don’t want to have nightmares for a week are The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Hocus Pocus (1993), the Halloweentown series (1998-), Ghostbusters (1984), Beetlejuice (1988), Corpse Bride (2005), and It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966). You pretty much can’t go wrong if you look up any of those old Halloween classics.

I hope this guide helps you jam pack this coming week with all your favorite Halloween movies!  Halloween is one of my absolute favorite holidays and I can’t wait to get started on watching some of these classics.  Have a happy and safe Halloween!

Film and Television major at Hofstra University (Class of 2020) Beauty and fashion enthusiast Cat lover