Tune-In Tuesday: Meghan Trainor, “No”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
Meghan Trainor has been putting a lot of songs on the radio. Some are sung solo, and others are duets. 

Trainor is known for her empowering songs directed towards women, telling them to be independent, stand up for yourself and to stay away from the “haters” and those who hurt you, boy or girl. Although her new song, “No” portrays the message of being independent and feeling empowered when turning down a guy, I’m not a fan of it. 

The music alone sounds like something Britney Spears produced in the 90s. And don’t get me wrong, I loved Britney Spears’ songs in their prime, but they were hits in the 90s and early 2000s. Now, they’re just considered classic throwbacks. For today’s generation, I feel as if the music didn’t suit it, and was just trying to be brought back. Trainor’s music is like that from the get-go, with her “fifties” vibe, so why the change? 
Then the lyrics are too strong for me taste. I get the meaning behind it; if you don’t like the guy, let him know. But first off I think the message in itself is pretty repetitive, and this song is just another version of other songs she has produced. The lyrics are just different, but the meaning is all the same. I just think her voice in it as well is pretty sassy, if I can call it that. Just the attitude she gives off seems like too much for a song, and it can come across as annoying. 

But then again, people love this kind of stuff. Some agree to her music, which is understandable. Also it’s catchy, so of course if you hear it on the radio, most with blast it and sing along. 

I have heard different opinions on Trainor and her songs. Half say they like her and this song and others say they don’t like her and the song is already old and overplayed. 

What do you think? Let us know!
Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.