This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re like me and go running for the cozy sweaters and cute scarves the first time you feel that sweet autumn chill, this one’s for you! Don’t shove those shorts to the back of the drawer just yet- the weather is more up-and-down right now than your Gemini pal on a roller coaster, but I’m here to guide you through this funky transitional period!

Chunky-heeled boots

These casual-cool ankle boots boldly tell the world you’re over summer, but accept that it’s not quite time for fuzzy socks and tall boots. Plus, they go with everything, so when you put on that skirt in the morning and change into shorts in the afternoon, then jeans in the evening, you never even have to take off your shoes! (Theoretically.) 

Photo courtesy of Alissa Anderson

Oversized denim jacket

Just big enough to let a little breeze flow through, but snug enough to keep you warm at a bonfire or haunted hayride. It’ll go over anything from your favorite sundress to your thickest sweater, so you might as well just bring it everywhere. Consider looking through the selection at your local thrift or vintage store for cheaper and/or statement-making pieces! 

Jewel-toned bag

I love my cute little ballerina-pink purses, but as the temperature drops, I don’t want anyone to think I’m stuck in last season- be it the line my bag is from or the literal last season. Kiss your sweet floral-print purse ciao for now and bring out the big girl purse in brown, mauve, emerald, red, or whatever other fun fall color you’re feeling. I know it’s hard, but I promise it’ll only make your outfit look that much more put-together.

Fun hats

No pom-poms just yet! For fall, opt for a simple beret, or a not-so-simple beret. Maybe a wide-brimmed black felt hat a la American Horror Story: Coven. My personal favorite is a fluffy little cap that looks like it should have a raccoon tail coming out the side, but with no animals harmed in the making of this production.

Fitted black turtleneck

A staple in every wardrobe! Pair it with a pair of high-waisted shorts for an ultra-chic look without breaking a sweat. Whether yours is a bodysuit or sleek top, you’re set without having to put too much thought into it. Not to mention, it’ll go with any of the other suggestions!

No matter what your style is, I hope you can draw inspiration from my favorite transitional clothing items and successfully navigate the changing season!

California girl currently living in New York with a love of dance, champagne, and anything faux-fur.