Top 5 Dessert Places in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re anything like me, and love traveling to cities, one of your favorite things to do is to grab a bite to eat at the trendiest food spots. Although New York City is filled with thousands of diverse restaurants, there are many locations throughout the city to grab a sweet treat. Whether these spots may be trending on Instagram or are local shops, the “Big Apple” supplies treats for every palate. If you ever have the opportunity to visit NYC, or even if you live there, these spots should be at the top of your “to visit” list.

DŌ, Cookie Dough Confections

Have you ever dreamed of being able to eat raw cookie dough without contracting Salmonella? DŌ makes this widespread fantasy a reality. Upon its opening in January, cookie dough connoisseurs waited hours for a taste. Having been to this shop three times, and waiting on considerably long lines for what one may argue can be bought at a grocery store, I say it’s worth it. Upon walking into the shop, one’s eye is struck by the vibrant colors and modern design. Their eyes widen as they spot the variety of cookie dough flavors ranging from Signature Chocolate Chip to Pumpkin Spice Blondie. My favorite flavors are the Signature Chocolate Chip, Confetti, and Sugar Cookie. The great thing is that each customer has the option of selecting up to three flavors. In addition to the delectable cookie dough, the shop also offers other cookie dough based treats and baked goods, such as brownies,cupcakes, and milkshakes. Most people purchase additional pre-packaged cookie dough to bring home. If you have a big sweet tooth like me, then you are most likely able to eat a hefty serving of the delicious cookie dough at once. But, if the sweetness overwhelms you, the cookie dough can be refrigerated or kept frozen. From entering the store to tasting your first bite, DŌ is a spot that will forever be remembered by your brain and taste buds.

Schmackary’s

A post shared by Schmackary’s (@schmackarys) on

Located in the heart of Times Square, Schmackary’s may not appear to be anything more than a typical bakery, but it’s cookies are some of the best. Schmakary’s has an extensive menu, with the cookie flavors changing daily. Candied Vam, Cookies & Cream, Maple Bacon, Pumpkin Spice, Chocolate Duet, The Hangover, Cereal Killer, and the Peanut Gallery are only a few flavors offered. My favorite is the Funfetti cookie, which is a sugar cookie topped with vanilla cream cheese frosting and rainbow sprinkles. Schmackary’s uses ingredients that many wouldn’t consider being complementary to create delicious cookies. Priced at $2.75 each, the cookies are enormous and are the perfect size for sharing. In addition to cookies, other sweet treats like brownies, milkshakes, bars, and krispie treats are available for purchase. Although there is not much space to sit down inside of the shop, the cookies are perfect on-the-go snacks that fit into the chaotic urban lifestyle. One is able to taste the freshness of the cookies as they are made daily. Day old cookies are also sold for $1. Make sure to head over to Schmackary’s if you’re ever craving “lip schmackin’ good cookies!”

Max Brenner

A post shared by Max Brenner (@maxbrennerusa) on

Max Brenner is every chocolate lover’s dream. Located in Union Square, Max Brenner is always filled with chocolate lovers, tourists, and city inhabitants. Unlike the previous two dessert “hot spots” I mentioned, Max Brenner is a sit-down restaurant that also serves regular food (although everyone primarily visits for the chocolate and desserts). Some of my favorite treats are the chocolate syringes and “Munchies Waffles.” The chocolate syringes are literal syringes filled with delectable chocolate that one squeezes into their mouth. It is a fun and quick way to guarantee a sugar rush. Most people consider waffles to be breakfast food, but Max Brenner takes them to another level. The “Munchies Waffles” are not your typical waffles. These waffles are served with “your choice of two ice cream flavors, whipped cream, milk chocolate ganache, and Choco-Pops” (MaxBrenner.com). The sweet flavors work and make every bite heavenly. The quality of chocolate served at Max Brenner surpasses that of other chocolatiers and grocery store brands. One is paying for the finest quality chocolate. This is a restaurant that all chocolate lovers should visit!

Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain

Bucket list sundaes. Affugazi Affogato and the Cookie Monster. Photo @kludt #brooklynfarmacy #wedosundaes

A post shared by Brooklyn Farmacy&Soda Fountain (@brooklynfarmacy) on

If you’re craving ice cream, then Brooklyn Farmacy & Soda Fountain is your place. With an extensive ice cream menu containing everything from specialty sundaes and ice cream sandwiches to milkshakes and egg creams, Brooklyn Farmacy is certain to satisfy your sweet tooth. Everything is made-to-order which allows for the finest quality treats to be served. Although you may have to wait a little while, there are board games to be played or you can enjoy the classic design of the restaurant. My favorite ice cream sundae from this location is the warm brownie sundae. This brownie sundae is not your typical brownie sundae. The brownie is extremely moist and the ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate shavings, and cherry all work to complement each other. One can tell that the ingredients used are of the finest quality and that the chef’s care about the treats they prepare.

Black Tap

If you think you’ve had the best milkshake before, you thought wrong. Black Tap’s milkshakes exceed one’s wildest dreams in terms of what they thought was possible for milkshakes. These milkshakes are works of art and taste equally as good as they look. Although “Classic Shakes” are served, Black Tap is recognized for their “Crazy Shakes.” Some of these “Crazy Shakes” flavors include Cotton Candy, Brooklyn Blackout, The Cake Shake, and the “Bam Bam shake. These shakes are tremendous, and I would recommend sharing them with at least two other people. These shakes are so heavily topped that the toppings alone could function as an individual dessert. Although these “Crazy Shakes” are a costly $15, they are worth every sip. There are several locations throughout NYC and orders can even be placed online as there is usually a long line to be seated.

Cover Photo: https://www.pexels.com/photo/donuts-and-bagel-display-205961/

Hi I am Jenna! I am a freshman at Hofstra university. I am a hair-dye enthusiast and lover of all things pop culture. I interview celebrities for my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/celebrityhautespot