This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As you begin this journey whether it be your first semester as a Freshman, your last year as a Senior, or even if you decided to go back and get your masters, there are some things that no one tells you about before you get to the hollowed halls of academia.

1. No matter how hard you try, your dorm room will never be as awesome as your bedroom at home.You can bring your comforter, hang posters and pretty lights, and even bring a few trinkets, but honestly, no matter how hard you try, it will never be as wonderful as home. The floors will still be some terrible tile that were picked out before you were born, and the walls are still some faint shade of whatever color they thought would be neutral enough. Even though your dorm room or college apartment will never feel quite like home, it will eventually be better. You never know, you might end up liking the freedom of your own space more than the comforts of your room back home.

2. The food isn’t quite what you were expectingYou might have been expecting some amazing meal that tastes practically homemade or delicious New York style pizza everywhere, but honestly, no one tells you just home much you will miss your kitchen from home filled with all of your favorites and where things are placed just where you like them. More importantly, no one tells you about how much you will miss your family meals and family cooking because honestly, there is something about the love that gets put into food at home that just doesn’t seem to translate to food at college.

3. Your college roommate doesn’t have to be your best friend.Sometimes it just happens, and you get along so well, and they end up being your bridesmaid five years down the road, and you are the best of friends. If that has happened to you, count yourself lucky because that doesn’t always happen. Your roommate isn’t always going to be someone you form an instant bond with and sometimes, it is enough just to get through this week’s chores without getting angry with them.

Aislinn is a graduate Public Relations student at Hofstra University. When she isn’t in class, she is working with the Hofstra University Writing Center, doing PR for Her Campus, and working at the Hofstra University Center for Academic Excellence. Her interests range from Harry Potter and chilling on the beach to gender equality and writing pedagogy.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.