Is There a Such Thing as ‘Too Much Camp?’ A Met Gala 2019 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Football fans have the Superbowl, music lovers have the Grammys, movie connoisseurs have the Oscars… and fashion lovers have the Met Gala. On the first Monday of every May, hundreds of celebrities, influencers, designers, and models come together to celebrate art and fashion at the infamous Metropolitan Museum of Art. Every year, the theme of the Met Gala changes, and this year the theme was “Camp: Notes of Fashion.” No, not like wilderness camp – we’re talking gaudy, over-the-top looks that scream, “Here I am, Met!” 

Many people didn’t think the attendees were as avant-garde as they had hoped, and were disappointed by the looks that some celebrities adorned. However, Camp isn’t really something that can be judged – it’s supposed to be inconsistent, gaudy, and cartoon-like. If the look made you feel like you were on a slight trip, it probably fit the theme. Since Camp covers such a broad spectrum, there were lots of different looks that appeared on the pink carpet. Don’t worry if you missed it – that’s what we’re here for.

First of all, we need to talk about Lady Gaga.

Lady Gaga ate up this theme for breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack, and dinner. As one of the hosts of this year’s Met Gala, she was certainly expected to deliver, but she exceeded everyone’s expectations with four (count ‘em, FOUR) outfit changes in 15 minutes. We can’t even decide our OOTD in under 15 minutes.

Next came the three other hosts of the Met Gala, Serena Williams, Harry Styles, and Alessandro Michele.

Serena Williams sported (see what we did there) a pair of neon yellow Nikes under her beautiful, bright yellow Versace gown, while Harry and Alessandro both showed up in Gucci (no surprise there.) Also, Harry Styles wearing an earring and heels made us feel slightly reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean but we weren’t upset about it.While there were definitely a lot of uber-campy looks that made us question whether we were still in this dimension, here are some celebs that we think deserve a special shoutout for their A+ camp effort:

Lupita N’yongo

Katy Perry

Ezra Miller

Jared Leto

Janelle Monae

Billy Porter

The exhibition “Camp: Notes on Fashion,” opened at the Met on May 9th,so now you can go see all of the Camp in an up-close-and-personal way.. Let’s get campy!

Madeline is a journalism major at Hofstra University, and is a writer for HC Hofstra. If you're looking for her, you can probably find her at an Anthropologie, the beach, or eating peanut butter out of the jar.