The new “it” couple, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, and how it all started

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Everyone remembers where they were on September 24, when Fox’s NFL broadcast dropped the news that Taylor Swift was at the Kansas City Chiefs vs. Chicago Bears game. Sitting alongside Travis Kelce’s mom, Donna Kelce, Swift shocked Swifties and Chiefs’ fans after many had undermined the rumors that Kelcey and Swift were together. But, how did we get here?

The first official interaction

The only official interaction fans got before Swift’s game appearance, was Kelce talking about going to Swift’s The Eras Tour at Arrowhead Stadium; the same stadium Kelce’s team plays on. The NFL player talked about going to Swift’s concert back in July in his podcast New Heights; which is co-hosted by his brother Jason Kelce. 

“Well, I was disappointed that she doesn’t talk before or after her shows because she has to save her voice for the 44 songs that she sings. So I was a little butthurt that I didn’t get to hand her one of the bracelets I made for her” 

Travis Kelce in “New Heights” podcast

His brother confirms it

On Sept. 20, just days before Swift’s appearance at the Chiefs’ game, Kelcey’s brother, Jason, said the following on the “WIP Morning Show,” when asked about the rumor that his brother was dating the “Cruel Summer” singer:

“I try to keep his business kind of his business, stay out of that world,” Jason said. “But having said that, I think he’s doing great and I think it’s all 100% true.”

Jason’s statement made everyone believe maybe the rumors were true and quickly started making headlines in various news outlets; like CBS Sports, US Weekly, and The Daily Mail.

The official confirmation?

Next thing you know, Swift is at Kelce’s personal Suite at Arrowhead Stadium watching him play against the Chicago Bears. Photos of Swift at the game quickly flooded the internet, making fans wonder if this was an official confirmation that the pair were together. 

After the game ended, the pair was recorded walking together out of the stadium. The main discourse after the video surfaced, was that the rumored couple were not holding hands in the clip. Adding to that, fans outside the stadium spotted them leaving in a convertible together. These interactions were “the cherry on top” that confirmed that the two are officially together.

According to CBS Sports, the Chiefs’ tight end rented out an entire restaurant to ” hold a private party for Swift and his teammates.” The restaurant, Prime Social Rooftop, hosted the couple and Kelce’s team. Guests of the restaurant were warned that the place would close at 8 p.m., earlier than usual, to later discover that it was to accommodate the couple and their guests.

Swifties quickly started creating edits of the pair, while Chiefs and NFL fans started explaining the rules of football to the Swifties who were new to the sport.

According to sportswear company, Fanatics, Kelce’s jersey was one of the top five for the NFL on Sept. 24. There was a “400% spike in sales throughout the Fanatics network of sites, including NFLShop.com,” a spokesperson told The Associated Press via email.

Their second game

On Oct. 1, Swift attended the Chiefs’ game again to cheer the Chiefs’ number 87. Some other celebrities who seemed to be enjoying the game with the Cardigan singer, were Blake Lively, Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman, Sabrina Carpenter, and more. However, Swift was once again the talk of the night.

Earlier that day, Kelce was spotted visiting Swift at her New York City apartment.

The media took the opportunity to use Swift’s song Welcome to New York, to promote the Chiefs’s game against the Jets; as it would take place near New York City and the opposing team is from New York. An example of this was the Chief’s official Instagram page which posted a series of photos of the players, with the first photo being Kelce, with the caption “The lights are so bright, BUT THEY NEVER BLIND US,” alluding to Swift’s song.

Right now, Swift is on a break from her tour; with her next concert date being on November 9 in Argentina. This break has facilitated for her to be at Kelce’s games. However, will she be at all the Chiefs games before her tour starts again?

The next game for the Chiefs will be against the Minnesota Vikings on Oct. 8

Xiomara is a Junior at Hofstra University majoring in Journalism. She loves to make the most of her time by painting, baking, writing, or just listening to music.