Life > Academics

The Back to School hype is over, here is how you can stay motivated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

At the start of the semester, our drive to be productive is through the roof. We embark on our new classes with great intentions and plans. However, a month or so in, motivation begins to decline and the mid semester slump starts to hit. Here are some tips and tricks to help keep your motivation steady throughout the school year. 

Put a Stop to Procrastination

Procrastination is a huge problem that many college students struggle with. The reason we procrastinate is due to many reasons such as fear of failure, time-management issues, low motivation, low energy and loss of interest in the task at hand. When we procrastinate, we prioritize how we feel in the short term. We avoid anxiety inducing tasks in the now and end up regretting it in the future.

Procrastination is a vicious cycle that is hard to break, but there are plenty of ways to stop procrastinating. First, find a study buddy. Find someone in the same class that can help you stay on track. Not only does this allow for better understanding and empathy, it also keeps you accountable. Having someone else on your schedule motivates you to get your work done. 

Rewarding yourself is another way to halt procrastination. Procrastination in itself can seem rewarding as we go on our phone or hang out with friends to avoid our responsibilities. This can be flipped to use against procrastination. When behavior is rewarded- it gets repeated. Treat yourself to something every time you complete a task. Whether it be something simple like crossing the task off your list, or treating yourself to your favorite dinner, you will begin to associate your high effort with positivity. 

Get Organized

Organization looks different for every person and for every class. Tailoring your resources to work best for you is the way to go. Google calendar, Google sheets, Notion and GoodNotes are just a few examples of great digital organization available to you.

Planners and notepads should be your best friend in college. Having something to write down your ideas and assignments on is so important to keeping up with a heavy workload. 

Build Good Study Habits

Finding a good study group is a great way to make an aversive task enjoyable. This keeps you accountable for finding a time to set aside for studying, but it also makes the experience engaging. Try teaching your group material you are learning- this will allow you to see what you do and do not know.

Limiting distractions is vital for successful studying. Put your phone in a different room and set time limits for yourself on apps that take up too much time. The pomodoro method, an online timer, is a great resource for guided time management when studying. 

Take Care of Yourself

Finally, put your physical and mental health above all else. The reason we start to miss class and lose motivation is often because of burn out. At this time of the year, it is so important to take care of yourself. Make sure you are eating the proper amount of nutritious meals, taking your vitamins, exercising and getting enough sleep (7+ hours!). 

Mental health should always be a priority. Taking time off is OK and sometimes necessary. Be sure to use your mental health resources provided by your university as well. 

As the year starts to come to a close and motivation begins to decline, it is important to stick to good habits. Putting a halt to procrastination, getting organized, building a study routine and taking care of your physical and mental well being are just some ways to keep yourself on track for the rest of the semester.

Kim Casey is a senior at Hofstra. She has a double major in Public Relations and Psychology. She is a member of the Hofstra Cheerleading team, PAD Hofstra and a Pure Barre instructor.