Sophomore Profile: Debra McCullagh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Name: Debra McCullagh
Year: Sophomore
Major: Video/TV Production

Involvement on Campus:
I’m an active member in HEAT (Hofstra Entertainment Access Television) and help out on shows like TNL, Director’s Cut, and Sports Beat

Why did you choose your major:
I chose TV because there is nothing I love more than television. I love how many people are able to come together and work as a team for the good of a show.

What are your plans for the summer?
Over the summer I’m going to be interning with News 12 Long Island News. I’m so excited to actually see what a real news studio is like and I can’t wait to contribute to their productions.

Dream job?
NBC all the way. I know every TV major seems to want the same thing but I would love the work for SNL because there is nothing better than the adrenaline rush that comes with live TV.

What classes do you feel have prepared you best at Hofstra?
Definitely my RTVF classes. The entire program is just a four year boot camp to prepare you for the rigors of real TV production. 

How do you balance the social and academic aspects of college?
Well for me the social and the academic things always seem to co-mingle. All my extracurricular activities are in the same building that all my classes are. It’s really great that in between class I can just hang out with my friends and practice on some of the equipment we have.

What are your personal tips when going in for an interview?
Be confident. It’s the best advice I could give anyone. I always try to just walk in with a smile and a positive attitude and it really pays off. You need to be sure that you are right for the job that they are hiring you for, or else they won’t be sure.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!
Kaitlin Cubria is a senior Public Relations major at Hofstra University, double minoring in Journalism, and Speech Communications & Rhetorical Studies. Born and raised in Staten Island, NY, Kaitlin always loved going into Manhattan on the weekends. She is a member of the Hofstra chapters of both Ed2010 and Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), the vice president of She's the First Hofstra (non-profit) and acts as a Resident Assistant for Hofstra’s Residential Programs. Outside of her academics, Kaitlin recently finished internships at Hearst Magazines Public Relations, The CW Television Network Affiliate WPIX11 in the Creative Services division AND at New York Magazine. This semester, she has her dream internship at Seventeen magazine in the Web/Features department, where she is the Blog Manager for Seventeen.com's Freshman 15 blog! She is obsessed with pop culture; if you don’t see her reading the newest issue of Seventeen, you’ll probably catch her browsing PerezHilton.com for celebrity gossip. After having a love for both creativity and writing for a majority of her life, Kaitlin is excited to continue her communications/journalism experience at Her Campus! After college, she plans on pursuing a career in either entertainment public relations or magazine journalism.