Sophomore Profile: Chelsea Tirrell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Major? Print Journalism and Creative Writing/English Lit. 
Year? Sophomore

Where are you interning this semester? 
Seventeen Features

How did you find this internship? 
Through a friend at Hofstra

Did you apply to any others?
Yes, RealBeauty.com, Seventeen web, and BRIDES

How did you end up choosing this internship?
It came down to the fact that I really wanted to do print. I knew it would be important to learn web-related tasks but when I interviewed, they hinted at the fact that it’d be a mix between print and web. Also, I knew I’d be in the department that would be of most interest to me – romance. I was sold. 

What do you think are some qualities of a good intern? Bad intern? 
A good intern is organized, good at multi-tasking and listening, and is willing to help in all areas. You may not get assigned to do things you love but completely less-than-fabulous tasks well shows your supervisor that you’re ready for bigger and better things. You have to earn the responsibility. A bad intern will keep tasks until the last minute, crack under pressure, and wear anything but a smile. You should always be happy to be there. Take everything one by one and don’t be afraid to ask for help if you absolutely need it. That’s what you’re there for, to learn. 

How do you think you stand out against other candidates? 
My willingness to approach strangers for quotes impressed my interviewers. I’ve had other internships that have required me to ask for quotes about awkward subjects. It was never difficult for me to gather them, though, because I make my subjects comfortable and I’m not afraid to strike up a conversation anywhere I am. My passion also sets me apart. I will do anything and however much for you if your publication is in the magazine industry. I will do anything to make it and people can see that from a mile away. 

What are your recommendations for anyone going for the same position? 
Seventeen does a lot with real stories and quotes with substance so definitely build a network with your friends and schoolmates. They can really save you when you’re struggling to find an anecdote. Other than that, go in with a smile. Seventeen is a cheery place and they want someone who is going to contribute to that, not bring it down. 

What are your plans for the summer?
Both! I plan on having a job, writing another book, and interning at a local Bridal magazine. Unfortunately for me, summers aren’t for relaxing – they’re for taking advantage of the lack of classes I have, making some money, and getting more experience. And I’m not complaining! 

Are there any members of the Hofstra faculty you would thank for helping you get where you are today? 
As advisor to Hofstra’s chapter of Ed2010, Carol Fletcher has always encouraged our members to get yourself out there through interning, getting clips, and networking. I took her advice and got started my freshman year. The experience I’ve already obtained is more than most students get in all four years and it has helped me in surprising ways when it comes time to interviewing and landing positions. My current News Writing and Reporting professor Chris Vaccaro has also stressed the importance of putting yourself out there. The professors within my department, journalism, are truly amazing and they want you to succeed. That’s one of the major reasons I came here. 

What Hofstra activities were you involved in that you think aided your experience? 
It started with The Chronicle. After submitting only three articles to the editorial section, they asked me to be a columnist. Eventually, it morphed into a relationship column that provided me with an array of clips that helped me land my first internship at ChickSpeak. I’m also the publicist of Ed2010 which has given me innumerable insight into the magazine world. With members who have more experience than I do, I’m able to learn so much and apply it to my own career. Through Ed2010 came HerCampus, which I primarily contribute to by compiling bios for the “Campus Cutie” section. Magazines want to know that you have man-on-the-street experience and this, along with my second internship at CanIGetAManWithThat?, which required me to gather embarrassing sex anecdotes, showed them how capable I was. 

Kaitlin Cubria is a senior Public Relations major at Hofstra University, double minoring in Journalism, and Speech Communications & Rhetorical Studies. Born and raised in Staten Island, NY, Kaitlin always loved going into Manhattan on the weekends. She is a member of the Hofstra chapters of both Ed2010 and Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), the vice president of She's the First Hofstra (non-profit) and acts as a Resident Assistant for Hofstra’s Residential Programs. Outside of her academics, Kaitlin recently finished internships at Hearst Magazines Public Relations, The CW Television Network Affiliate WPIX11 in the Creative Services division AND at New York Magazine. This semester, she has her dream internship at Seventeen magazine in the Web/Features department, where she is the Blog Manager for Seventeen.com's Freshman 15 blog! She is obsessed with pop culture; if you don’t see her reading the newest issue of Seventeen, you’ll probably catch her browsing PerezHilton.com for celebrity gossip. After having a love for both creativity and writing for a majority of her life, Kaitlin is excited to continue her communications/journalism experience at Her Campus! After college, she plans on pursuing a career in either entertainment public relations or magazine journalism.