This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

November 6, 2018, marked America’s most important midterm elections. A “blue wave” was expected to hit Congress, and while Democrats took control of the House, Republicans remained in control of the Senate. However, Democrats taking the house seemed to be a sign of the nation protesting President Donald Trump’s current rhetoric and agenda.

Photo by Mirah Curzer

Not only where these elections significant in their importance, but the history made in these elections showcased the strength of minority groups and proved that voting matters in terms of historic wins. According to the Los Angeles Times, the number of women elected to office was record-breaking. Mostly Democratic, 99 women will be taking oath in January, which is a rise from the current 84 women in Congress.

The elected minority increase is further represented through the historic number of firsts throughout our country. In the 2018 midterms alone, America voted for:

1. Jared Polis is Colorado’s first openly gay man to be elected as governor

2. Angie Craig was elected to Congress as the first lesbian mother and the first openly gay female from Minnesota

3. Sylvia Garcia and Veronica Escobar were elected as Texas’ first Latina congresswomen

4. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan were elected as the first Muslim congresswomen

5. Sharice Davids of Kansas and Debra Haaland of New Mexico were elected as the first Native American congresswomen

6. Jahana Hayes was elected as Connecticut’s first Black woman in Congress

7. Ayanna Pressley was elected as Massachusetts’ first Black member of the House

8. Tennessee elected Marsha Blackburn as their first female senator

9. Kristi Noem was elected as South Dakota’s first female governor

10. Maine elected Janet Mills as their first female governor

With all of these major firsts, the midterm elections of 2018 are going to be elections that will be remembered throughout history. However, these midterm elections have also showcased the political tensions within America.

As votes from Texas were counted, the state flipped between blue and red until, ultimately, Ted Cruz was reelected to the Senate. However, the flipping of Texas throughout the counting of ballots shows an imperative change upon the politics of the nation. A predominantly Republican-voting state, Democrat Beto O’Rourke was a strong competitor against Cruz. The idea that historically red states are becoming blue reiterates the idea that once supporters of Trump are beginning to tire of his hate-filled rhetoric.

Photo by Heather Mount

Texas is only one example. Florida also experienced a tight race and is currently calling for a recount for the governor and Senate seats. Senate candidate, Rick Scott claimed voter fraud, especially within Broward County; however, so far, there has been no evidence of such.

The 2018 midterm elections will be ones remembered throughout history for the large population of minority communities elected, as well as the controversy and criticism of the current political climate. With the blue wave that hit the House, there is an anticipation to see a change from the current political climate.

Gabriella is a senior Public Relations major and Political Science minor at Hofstra University. She is a member of WRHU 887. FM and Alpha Epsilon Phi. Gabriella would like to work as a lobbyist focusing on educational and women's rights.