etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The ~Realest~ YouTubers You Should Be Subbed To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

YouTube has become so much bigger than what it was when it first began in 2005. Today, it is a legit and valid entertainment medium, and people make their livings on it. In this article, I’m going to tell you about some of the ~realest~ YouTubers you should be subscribed to. From YouTube legends, to up-and-coming newcomers, we’re covering a pretty broad spectrum here, along with my personal favorite videos from each YouTuber mentioned.

Jenna Marbles 

We’re starting off this list with a long-time YouTube legend: Jenna Marbles. One of Jenna’s first videos that got her really popular on YouTube was “How to trick people into thinking you’re good looking,” which she posted in 2010. Since then, Jenna has always been YouTube royalty. Her videos have always been true to what her humor is, and the type of content she posts changes as she does. She does not care at all about what people think of her, and that makes people love her.

Shane Dawson

Another member of YouTube royalty, Shane Dawson has been making YouTube videos since 2008. In the beginning, most of his videos were funny sketches, but they also covered serious topics, most having to do with the trauma he dealt with growing up. In July of 2015, he released a video revealing to his viewers that he was bisexual, which helped a lot of people, (me being one of them). Since then, Shane now focuses on multiple-part series that take months to film, edit, and release to his viewers, with the help of his friend and cameraman, Andrew Siwicki. The content he makes is very showing of how much emotional and physical work he puts into each and every video. Most importantly, he truly cares about the topics he covers in all of his videos.

Cody Ko

Probably one of the funniest people on YouTube right now, Cody Ko started on Vine and then made his way over to YouTube full-time when the mobile app shut down in 2016. Most of his videos are of him reacting to other YouTubers or out-of-the-ordinary videos. He isn’t afraid to call people out on their questionable actions, and he does it in a very entertaining way. An ongoing series that he does on his channel with Noel Miller, entitled “That’s Cringe,” has to be one of the funniest series on YouTube and everyone should do themselves a favor and watch it. 

Sarah Baska

Another Vine star, Sarah Baska began making YouTube videos in 2014. Her videos range from story time-style videos, to funny challenges, to her literally transforming into JoJo Siwa. Every once in a while, Sarah makes a video where she just sits down and updates her viewers on what’s going on in her life, and they get pretty real. She is extremely transparent with her fans but also knows how to keep certain things private. She is unapologetically herself, and that’s why her subscriber count continues to grow.

Ava Gridley

A smaller-known YouTuber, Ava Gridley started YouTube in 2015. Another bi-con (bisexual icon, we truly stan), she makes mainly beauty and fashion videos. In addition to YouTube, Ava is also a student at FIT and models for Crawford Models and Maggie Inc. As if this wasn’t iconic enough, she also just walked the runway in New York Fashion Week! She is extremely honest with her life and what she wants out of it, and her passion and drive definitely show in her videos.

Tess Christine

Another beauty vlogger, Tess Christine began her YouTube career back in 2011. Her videos vary from makeup tutorials, to travel vlogs, to chill and fun sit-down videos. She is extremely hard working in the content she puts out, and there isn’t one video she’s made since her career took off that isn’t high-quality and beautifully done. She is currently engaged and has been putting out videos as a part of her “Wedding Series,” where she documents her and her fiancé’s wedding planning journey, which she hopes will help other couples planning weddings, and also will have to look back at in the future. She is always genuine and extremely creative, which shows in the fact that she has never put out a bad video.

And there you have it! Obviously, there are so many more YouTubers who deserve to be on this list, but then the list wouldn’t even fit on this website. After reading this article, I hope you can really begin to find the truth tea of YouTube.

Katie Pericak

Hofstra '21

Katie is a B.F.A. Theatre Arts Performance major with a Journalism minor at Hofstra University! Along with being a writer for Her Campus, Katie also enjoys crime TV shows, nutella, and naps. She is also still mourning the break-up of One Direction. If anyone knows of any good vegan restaurants anywhere, please let her know ASAP.