Quick Outfits for Those Pesky 8AMs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

One thing that almost every college student can agree on? There aren’t many things that are worse than an 8 am class. Even if you managed to get through four years of high school classes starting before 8 am, tackling those early morning classes in college can feel impossible. When you’re worried about leaving your room on time and getting Starbucks in your hand as quickly as possible, finding cute clothes is probably the last thing on your mind. However, you don’t have to sacrifice your style for getting to your early morning class. Here are four quick outfit ideas for your pesky 8AMs.

Reach for a t-shirt dress

If your closet isn’t full of comfy t-shirt dresses, you need to change that. Not only are t-shirt dresses some of the most comfortable pieces you could own, they’re a versatile closet must-have. They can easily be dressed up with a jean jacket and flats (as seen here, styled by fashion blogger Dani Austin) or kept simple with your favorite sneakers and minimal jewelry. Not only will your outfit be just as comfy as your pajamas, wearing dresses gives the impression that you spent a decent amount of time on your outfit for the day, even though throwing on a dress is the quickest and easiest thing you could do.

Dress up your leggings

It’s no secret that leggings are a collegiette’s favorite clothing item, and dressing them up for class doesn’t have to be hard. Instead of opting for a legging and sweatshirt ensemble, spice up your comfy pants by pairing them with a graphic tee, a comfy cardigan, and a pair of riding boots or slip-ons, like fashion blogger Emily Gemma from TheSweetestThingBlog.com. You’ll still be comfortable in class, but taking a few extra minutes to take your leggings to the next level will make you look that much more put together.

Invest in jeggings

For the collegiettes who don’t like wearing leggings to class, jeggings are your next best bet. Jeggings give the illusion that you’re wearing jeans while keeping the comfort factor of your favorite leggings. Put on a cozy sweater, grab your favorite booties and jewelry like a long necklace, stacked rings, or a watch, and you’ve got a cute outfit that only takes minutes to put together before rushing out the door.

Don’t underestimate the power of a blazer

Before you rule out blazers as part of a potential 8am outfit, consider this: has anyone ever told you that you should always dress as if you could run into your future employer? Or what if you run into a guest speaker on campus who you admire? Or maybe you like to always be ready for an OOTD Instagram opportunity? The possibilities are endless – and who would want to be caught in an outfit you don’t feel 100% confident in? While you may assume blazers are too formal for class (especially bright and early in the morning), putting together an outfit with one is easier than you think. Tuck a t-shirt into a pair of dark wash jeggings (for comfort, of course) and finish off with a blazer and flats. Bonus points if your blazer is a fun color or print! This professional looking outfit takes little to no thought, and people will be impressed by your ability to come to an early class looking so put together.

Dressing nicely for your least favorite 8am class doesn’t have to be difficult, and it certainly doesn’t have to be time consuming. Save yourself by planning your outfit the night before, and you’ll be one of the best-dressed collegiettes on campus!

Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.