Meghan Von Elm ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Keeping up with everyone in your small group of friends is hard enough. Imagine if at any given moment, you could receive up to 200 emails asking for your help! Meghan Von Elm, a junior broadcast journalism major, keeps up with the nearly 200 station members at WRHU Radio Hofstra University. And to top it off, Meghan balances her work as Personnel Director at the station with her classes and an awesome internship at News 12 Long Island!

What are you involved in on campus?

Some different things. They change throughout the year. When I was a freshman I was involved with the Blue Leadership Club and the Newman Club, which is the catholic club on campus. And as the years go on, I got involved in WRHU, and that’s basically the main club I’m involved in now.

You are the Personnel Director at WRHU. What do those responsibilities entail?

Gosh, there are a lot of responsibilities for Personnel Director. The main thing I have to do is organize the music slot schedule. I get all those emails at the beginning of every intercession and semester of slots that people want and I try to fit them in a puzzle on the schedule. I also organize the interviews and recruit the training class for each semester and I also co-teach the training class with the rest of the executive board. I do a lot of maintenance work around the station.

You also have an internship at News 12. What is that like?

It’s a lot of fun. I am a reporter’s assistant intern. That means I get to pick which reporter I want to go out with during the day. I intern two days a week, Mondays and Wednesdays. I go out with a reporter and they show me the ropes of being a reporter and often times they put me to work by doing my own interviews. The interview part goes on air, but voice doesn’t obviously. I take notes, I do a lot of researching. I also get to record my own stand-ups and my own packages for my reel. They don’t go on air but they’re great for my reel.

What has been your most memorable moment of being at Hofstra?

I’ve had a lot of memorable moments. I think getting into WRHU is probably the most memorable. Because of WRHU I have a lot of good memories so far so I’d have to go with that.

What has been the best advice you’ve gotten in college?

To keep your options open, like get involved in different things. When I was a freshman I was afraid of not making friends because I didn’t live on campus. But once I got involved in different clubs and activities I made a lot of friends and its been great.

Brianna is a proud Long Islander finishing her graduate journalism degree here at Hofstra. The East Meadow native wears many hats on campus, including Assistant News Director at WRHU, Grad Assistant at the Center for Civic Engagement and of course Treasurer here at Her Campus Hofstra! Brianna is currently interning at Fox News. But until she can go set the journalism world on fire, she’ll just have to settle for planning adventures abroad, binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and commiserating about her beloved New York Jets. Follow her on Twitter at @BriannaBorresen!