Meet George Calvo, King of Hofstra’s Fall Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Name: George Calvo

Hometown: Farmingdale, New York

Major: Computer Science and Mathematics

Class Year: 2015

Ethnic Background: Hispanic-American (Colombian descent)

Campus Involvement: Hofstra Fall Festival 2014 Court King and Founder of Hofstra’s Habitat for Humanity

Hobbies: Baseball, volleyball and remodelling old spaces

Describe yourself in three words: Determined, unique, and caring.

HC: What was your reason behind joining this year’s Fall Festival Showcase?

George: I’ve seen the Fall Festival Court in the past and the great students who are on the court and I thought it would be an honor for myself to participate in that. Also, I thought it would be a great way to represent the university and help to give back for everything that the university has given to me. I thought it was a wonderful opportunity.

HC: At what moment did you think you could actually win King of Fall Fest?

George: At first I didn’t think I was going to win because just looking around me the other four Fall Festival king candidates were extremely qualified, great leaders here on the campus. I thought to myself, ‘I wish I could win but these guys are so great that it’s probably not going to be me.’ We all came to the agreement that just being on the court was a win itself. But during the showcase, during my performance, just hearing the audience’s laughter, really meant a lot to me and I thought ‘maybe I actually have a shot at this.”

HC: What went through your mind as you were being crowned during the festival on stage?

George: I was so shocked to hear my name. Out on the stage I was standing there expecting to hear anybody else’s name besides George. It was just such a rush of emotions, seeing everybody happy and clapping for me made me feel so appreciated.

HC: Where does the crown and robe go when you’re not wearing it?

George: Through my Habitat for Humanity experience I learned a lot of things so I’ve been working on this run-down upstairs room in my house that I’m pretty close to finishing so I have a nice table where I put the crown and a chair for the robe so it’s starting to look like a person. I might just print out my face and paste it on there. That might be where it stays for a little bit.

HC: Who is your male role model or “king”?

George: I would say it’s my father. He came here from Colombia when he was around three. He and my grandmother gave up everything to make a better life for me. Having this Fall Festival king honor is just another way to say thanks to him for all the work that he put in for me.

HC: What is your favorite song to sing in the shower?

George: Keeping the Colombia alive, my girl Shakira. I’m not gonna lie, I like anything by Shakira. I like to sing “Hips Don’t Lie.”

HC: What would you say is your guilty pleasure?

George: Watching reality TV shows. I like Big Brother. I’ve been watching it for the past three years.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

George: Jennifer Aniston. She’s been so great in all her roles and so successful. And she also gives back to the community in different ways.

HC: What are your plans after graduating Hofstra?

George: I hope to take one or two weeks off for a vacation. I’ve never left the country, so I hope to get my passport updated and go somewhere outside the U.S. I was also fortunate enough to get hired at MEC Global, where I interned the last two summers as a database programmer. I’m excited to help the company grow and be successful.  

HC: What are your words to live by?

George: Never let anyone tell you that you can’t do anything.

Dana is a Public Media graduate student at Fordham University who started writing for Her Campus as a Hofstra University undergrad several years ago. She is a lover of all things pop culture and entertainment. Follow her @dana_gibbs94 and check out her blog, The Whisper Box: http://thewhisperbox.com.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!