Managing the Course Load of a Double Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The work load of a college student can be both stressful and overwhelming. This applies even more so to students who choose to double major. Being a double major typically means double the work load, and it can feel like too much to handle. While double majoring does require a lot of effort and dedication, it is definitely doable and with the use of simple tricks it can feel more manageable. As a double major myself, here are some tips I personally use to make my workload feel more manageable.

1. Plan Ahead

Tip number one is to plan ahead. When you receive your syllabi for your various classes, go through them thoroughly and take note of important due dates. Have a physical calendar that you can look at often with the due dates of important assignments and dates of exams. Try to check this calendar at the beginning of every week and take note of all the important things you have coming up. This will help to plan how you use your time wisely.

2. Make a To-Do List

I live by to-do lists because they help to see all the things you need to get done. I suggest making your to-do lists in a checklist style because checking assignments off the list will feel really rewarding. Even crossing things off a list will give you the satisfaction that you have been getting things done.

3. Use a Planner

Using a planner is similar to using a calendar but planners allow for more thorough detail. In a planner, take note of assignments, events, personal to-do’s, exams, and any meetings you may have. A planner can help to plan each day out rather than feeling stressed about a plethora of things you have to do for the week. Taking assignments and other things to do day-by-day will feel more manageable than looking at the overall of what you need to get done.

4. Set Daily Goals

Piggybacking off of my last point, setting daily goals is crucial to reducing stress caused by your workload. Looking at all the assignments and other things you have to do over a certain period of time can feel overwhelming. By setting daily goals of what to get done for the day, your workload will feel more manageable. Take everything day by day and your work will all get done. To do this, put your assignments in order of their due date and work from there. When it comes to larger assignments like essays or projects, make sure to give yourself an adequate amount of time to get them done.

5. Give Yourself a Break

My final and most important tip is to make time for yourself and take breaks. Giving yourself a break is just as important as getting your work done. It’s easy to get burnt out when your sole focus is getting everything done and not taking care of yourself. As you get things done throughout each day, reward yourself with your favorite treat or 20 minutes of entertainment. Taking breaks will make doing your work that much more rewarding.

Always remember why you chose the path of a double major and that you are completely capable of getting everything done!

Denivia Rivera is a current freshman at Hofstra University with a double major in Journalism and Dance. She is from the Bronx, New York and has a passion for writing!