Make the Most Out of The Career Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s only my freshman year at Hofstra University and the steps I’ve already taken towards my future career are incredible. 

As a Journalism Major, with a Minor in Radio, Television, and Film, the Career Center has really opened up and put together numerous events along with the School of Communications. Some of the events that took place included a Communications Alumni Night, a Communications Internship Orientation, a Magazine Internship Panel, and even regular Major and Department Mandatory Meetings. 

And the fact is, the Career Center hasn’t only provided for the School of Communications! It has put together tons of other events that appealed to students of every major! In only the first half of the fall semester! 

Personally, I knew nothing about setting up proper resumes, cover letters, and dinner etiquette when dealing with the professional world. But through the programs at the Career Center I’ve put together an impressive resume and I feel ready to look into internships. 

One great aspect of the Career Center is their Quick Question Hours. Quick Question Hours are every afternoon during the week in the Career Center where you can pop in and ask for advice or guidance quickly without booking an appointment! Talk about mentoring! Without those I think I’d be lost. 

The Career Center also comes directly to students with important information just in case you can’t always make your way down there in person. Check you Hofstra email and you’ll find tons of available internships that you can apply to sent straight from the Career Center.

Want more proof that the Career Center really provides for Hofstra students? Let’s just say that I’ve only been at Hofstra in the School of Communications for about a month and a half and I’ve made approximately six networking connections, I’ve built a reliable resume, and I’m currently applying for an internship. Also, at the end of November I’m going to New York City for a special Newsroom Tour at The New York Times–something I didn’t think I’d ever do! 

The Career Center is, in my opinion, the most helpful place on campus. It helps open doors and guide you towards your goals and dreams while teaching you to stand on your own two feet at the same time. 

Go take a trip to the Career Center. You won’t regret it. I know I didn’t!

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!