Culture > News

It’s A Month Until The Presidential Election. If You Aren’t Voting, It’s Time To Ask Yourself Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

In about a month the entire country will vote in one of the most important elections this nation has ever seen. No matter which way you’re leaning, casting your vote is a top priority. Nobody wants to hear that you don’t like either nominee or you simply “are not a political person,” because this election will affect you in every shape or form. You must decide which option is best for you and CHOOSE ONE.

Climate Change protest
Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

If you’ve already concluded that voting on November 3 is not on your to-do list, then we highly suggest that you add it. Ask yourself, why aren’t you voting? You have a right to make your voice heard on all these issues you care about that maybe you aren’t even realizing is a political issue. Whichever way you vote, you are not only voting for the President, but you are also voting for his ideals and viewpoints. Just because you are a Republican or Democrat that does not mean you must vote that way. Vote for the man you feel most confident in running this country. Vote for the changes you want to be made not only for yourself but also for all the future generations to come. 

Are you 100% happy with the way this country is being run? If not, then why aren’t you using your voice to make the changes you want to see made? For some people, voting is the only thing they have left to save them. They don’t have that privilege to not care about politics. Whether it be the color of their skin, sexual orientation, gender, religion, wealth, and so forth, these citizens have no choice but to make their voices heard. Take a step back and really think about how you can vote to not only help yourself but also your friends, neighbors, family and fellow Americans. Your voice can be heard, but only if you let it. 

election ballot with red and blue masks
Photo by Tiffany Tertipes from Unsplash

According to The Sanders Institute, in the 2016 election, voter turnout was only at 55.7% of eligible American voters. Although extremely low, this was not out of the ordinary. The turnout in the United States has stayed around 50%-60% ever since the early 1900s. We need to change that.

You may be wondering why your one lone vote is so crucial in the election. About half of Americans felt the same exact way last election and some are now extremely unhappy at the state this country is in. Don’t be that person who sits back and watches history unfold. Be that person who assists in the making of change to this country.

women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

If you are still indecisive on whether to vote or not, let me say this. Nothing is going to change for the better unless you realize how much your voice truly matters in this government. Every single American, no matter which side they lean, gets a say in who will run this country for the next four years. Do your research and vote for the change you want to see happen. Vote for yourself. Vote for your family and friends. But most importantly, vote for this nation.

Kayla is a junior at Hofstra University, majoring in journalism and minoring in creative writing and public relations. She has a passion for writing and traveling. A future aspiration of hers consists of becoming a travel writer, or working for a magazine. If you ever need to find her, I recommend checking the mall because she loves spending all her money on clothes that she doesn't need. When not shopping, she can be found watching something on Disney Plus(probably Tangled).