neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand I6wCDYW6ij8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Intern Diaries: Using Social Media Professionally

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all use social media, whether we are catching up with friends on Facebook or tweeting a funny picture on Twitter. But are we using it correctly? Check out these four tips to make sure you stay on the right track.

1. Never rant on social media: You failed a test and your professor won’t let you retake it, someone cut you off while you were driving, whatever the situation, the first thing we all think of doing is making a status or tweeting about it. BACK AWAY. Don’t use social media as a way to vent. Take a minute to breathe, go workout out, or talk it out with a friend, but whatever you do don’t post your problems online. If a future employer sees these negative, angry tweets it will make you look unprofessional and could cost you.

1. Use it as a marketing tool: Social media is the greatest marketing tool you will ever get. And it’s free! If you are interested in working at a magazine when you graduate, follow all the magazines you love. Also follow people that work for those magazines, and interact with them. The more you tweet at and have conversations with companies the better chance there is of you being recognized.

1. Sell yourself: Another great way to use social media is to create your own brand. If you love fashion, create a Twitter and blog that focus on fashion, interact with people in the fashion industry and gain followers. If you love cars, you can create a brand on that as well. Just focus on something that you love and give a voice to your tweets. By gaining followers you are showing employers that you are engaged and you have focus.

1. Find an internship or job: Who said Twitter and Facebook are just social media sites? Move over Google, social media is a great way to search for internships or jobs! You can follow sites like Ed2010 that give internship listings or you can reach out to the people you are following and ask if they are hiring. Let people know that you’re looking by posting it online! Also, LinkedIn is a great way to get your name out there. You can provide your resume and professional experience. The more people you are connected to the better.