I’m Not Gay, but That Doesn’t Mean I Can’t Support It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I am straight. I always knew I was straight. I like men. However, that’s just me. Not everyone thinks the same or feels the same, just like not everyone looks the same. But just like how we accept and love people who don’t look like us, we need to love and accept those who don’t feel the same way about being straight.

I grew up in a very loving town. I lived in a house that was very understanding and I went to a high school that I could sincerely say was one of the kindest schools I knew of in regards to anti-bullying and gay support.

When I was in 10th grade, a movement called “Rachel’s Challenge” came to our school to talk about this girl killed in the Columbine shooting. Her goal was to spread kindness to one another and that’s what my school did. We started a club based off the movement called “Friends of Rachel” where I took part in it for the next three years until I graduated. Our club lent helping hands to those who needed it, as well as had fund-raises for charities and made sure our school was welcoming.

What I’m trying to say from this is that I have grown up knowing how to love and accept those who are “different.” Yet I am also one to know they aren’t different, these people just happen to like different things, or people! I live in my own world where being gay or lesbian or bisexual or anything other than straight is just as normal as being straight. It’s really 110% okay. I have friends who aren’t straight, and I love them just the same, because why wouldn’t I love someone who cares for me, listens to my problems, laughs with me and is just a completely amazing friend?

I was talking to a friend the other day and we were discussing gay rights. He brought up a good point to me; why does their slogan have to be “it gets better?” Why does it have to get better? It should just already be great. There shouldn’t have to be worried about who may think it’s wrong or against their beliefs. Why can’t their slogan be “it is great” or do they even need a slogan?

Everyone deserves to be loved. Everyone is a person who deserves respect, kindness and peace. It IS okay to be gay. It’s better than okay. It’s normal.

To the gay community: I am here for you. I support you and I love you all. Please know that you are welcomed and you are loved. I’m proud of you!

Love one another, everyone.

Hi everyone! I'm 21 years old, studying Journalism with minors in Creative Writing and Marketing. Her Campus has given me place to write what I want, and I' so glad to share these articles with you!
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.