HU How To: Managing Your Holiday Shopping Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

“My name is Brianna and I am a holiday shopaholic.”

After all, the first step of overcoming a problem is admitting it, right?

If you collegiettes are anything like me, you’ve been dazzled by all of the holiday deals stores and sites have been advertising this season.  It’s no longer just deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday… savings are basically falling out the sky. It’s really easy to lose your mind among all the madness but here’s how you can manage your seasonal shopping addiction.

1. Before you even buy anything for yourself, buy for everyone on your Christmas list first! While it is always nice to treat yourself, the holidays are about giving.
  2. ­Ask yourself, do you, or anyone on your list, really need this? Sales have a funny way of convincing you to buy stuff you would never normally if not for the deeply slashed prices. Does anyone really need a margarita machine for $34.99? No! It’s important to keep your head.
  3. Remember your life post-holidays! You’re going to wish you had that cash when spring semester starts up in January.
  4. Make a holiday budget! Figure out what you want to spend and stick to it. No exceptions.
  5. If you just can’t fight that urge to splurge, do some good while you’re at it! Adopt A Family is a great organization that allows you to play Santa Claus for a family in need. There are also plenty of toy drives around Long Island. Collegiettes are generous and kind, let your light shine through this season!
Brianna is a proud Long Islander finishing her graduate journalism degree here at Hofstra. The East Meadow native wears many hats on campus, including Assistant News Director at WRHU, Grad Assistant at the Center for Civic Engagement and of course Treasurer here at Her Campus Hofstra! Brianna is currently interning at Fox News. But until she can go set the journalism world on fire, she’ll just have to settle for planning adventures abroad, binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix and commiserating about her beloved New York Jets. Follow her on Twitter at @BriannaBorresen!