From Hofstra to Hostel: Packing-Shoes Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all know a girl’s best friend is her shoes. Often times with study abroad you can get flustered when deciding which shoes to take. Let’s face it, shoes are heavy and take up luggage space! I’m here to help you in limiting the unnecessary and ultimately based on your location you’ll know which pairs to bring are right for you!

1. Basic Black and Brown Boots
You know those boots you wear consistently throughout the semester? Don’t go crazy and spend money on new ones unless the old are barely holding on! Having simple black and brown boots will allow you to think clothes first, shoes later and know that you’ll always have something to match.

2. Rain Boots
No matter where you are going you don’t want to be caught up in puddles of rain unprepared. The last thing you need to ruin your trick is ruining other good shoes because they got water damaged. Yes, you’ll have a little extra weight in your suitcase but it’s worth it!

3. Sneakers
Whether it is going to the gym or hiking some famous mountain or even being on your feet all day doing touristy things you NEED sneakers. Many people forget to remember these so as a tip, remember the cost of new sneakers and hopefully that will be incentive not to forget them!

4. Sandals
If you’re going somewhere with a slightly warmer climate or you want the simple convenience of throwing on shoes then it is recommended that you have sandals. However if you can I’d either buy these before or at the country in which you’re studying to avoid fast damage from worn out shoes.

5. Flats

Although not fully necessary, if you are travelling to an area with varying climate you don’t want to be stuck between cold feet in sandals or hot in boots. An additional advantage is they can easily be dressed down for class or dressed up for going out!

6. Staple Heels

If you’re a lucky lady who’s interning while abroad then you need a basic pair of heels. If not, honestly who cares! These are more of an extra, luggage permitting, incase you want to have that really classy night having a fancy dinner or going out to an elites place.
Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.