From Hofstra to Hostel: A Guide For the Incident Prone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
Despite the majority of people thinking study abroad is just one adventure party, too often we neglect to keep in mind all the incidents that can occur. It’s your job now to take on your own struggles instead of mom and dad. In an ideal world everything would be smooth sailing but of course something always goes wrong so here are some tips to for the incident prone.

Update Your Phone Numbers
On my journey I’ve had to add my bank’s number, my study abroad office number, my schools number, this countries in case of emergency number (it’s not 911 anymore) and of course my program director’s number. Add all of that as soon as you arrive because it is so much more convenient having those on your person rather than scrambling to look them 

Avoid Looking Like A Tourist

This goes for the place in which you’re studying abroad in addition to the places in which you will travel. In your new home start acting like you would back at school and make yourself at home in any new setting you come across. One part is for your comfort, the other is to avoid being called an American as an insult and most importantly so you are not victim to pickpocketers!

Travel With a Repair Kit
I use this term to describe both a sewing kit, first aid kit and water. I found myself unprepared because these weren’t items I naturally thought of but they are SO important. At all times you need to be prepared to repair your clothes, handle wounds and re-energize your body!

Don’t Be a Foreign Medicine Snob

Trust me on this one. A lot of foreign medicines look pretty sketchy but that’s just because name brand medicines are harder to find. Take my advice, I had a cold, took some random ibuprofen and was cured by the end of the day. Us American’s tend to essentially water down our meds but if you want to get cured fast leave the DayQuil at home!

Take In Suggestions
The worst thing you could do for yourself while abroad is bring a stacked list of places to eat,
sleep and breathe. Keep in mind everyone is coming in with their own agenda and to impose that on others sets you up for being bossy. Be willing to here other people’s bucket lists and trust that they are also capable of determining group activities!

Be Able To Accept When Things  Go Wrong
As Hannah Montana said, “nobody’s perfect” so prior to considering study abroad it is time for the overly lax people to be ready to take on more responsibility and the type-A people to give way of there reigns of control. Study abroad is about that perfect balance and listening to your instincts will help you learn about yourself.
Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.