H&M Debuts Iconic Fashion Line for Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

“What’s that jacket, Margiela?” 

The day millions of fashionistas have been waiting for has finally arrived.  Starting today, November 15th, H&M will carry classic Maison Martin Margiela clothing and accessories.  Now, we can all be like Kanye!

Staying true to its avant-garde style, the Margiela collection for H&M incorporates objects, deconstructed materials, and embodies a baggy, oversized look.  You may also find that several pieces are fusions of two types of garments; either two different dresses combined or a skirt that turns into pants towards the bottom. 

The Margiela house has always been known to turn anything into a fashion accessory and that is evident in their H&M collection.  You can find anything from a necklace made with a lock of hair to a candy wrapper clutch purse. 

This H&M and Margiela collaboration brings high-end style for an affordable price.  Original Margiela pieces can cost thousands of dollars however the H&M collection price range from $13-$399, allowing more people to afford this brand.

Some critics feel this Margiela and H&M collaboration is ironic.  H&M clothing is more popular to average 18-35 year olds (fashion-focused collegiettes like ourselves), while Maison Martin Margiela is a high-end, more expensive brand, popular among celebrities such as Kanye West and Sarah Jessica Parker.  Margiela creating a line for H&M allows them to expand their demographic and increase their popularity.    

The collection is composed of reissued archived Margiela pieces and will be labeled to indicate which Margiela season it originated from.  So when Kanye asks “What’s that jacket, Margiela?” You can respond with “Why yes it is. Inspired by the Fall ’95 collection to be exact!”

Make sure to get out to your local H&M store this weekend or on Black Friday to check out the Margiela collection for yourself.