Graduation and Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The days are passing by and in less than two months, graduation will be here. That means facing the harsh realities of getting a job, finding and apartment and for many, dealing with a long distance relationship.

College is often where relationships are first formed. But what happens once the glory days come to a close? Are they bound to fail if both people aren’t headed in the same direction? Is it possible to have a functioning long distance relationship even if it’s for the long haul? There are a few things you have to consider.

One might think that couples who have been together longer are more likely to stay together, but this isn’t always the case. Sometimes, people who have only been dating for a couple months stay together where as those who have been dating for a while may think their relationship has run its course. What you should consider instead is the strength of the relationship. Some year-long relationships only last a month after graduation, while other month-long relationships stay intact.

Usually, longevity indicates that a relationship is strong, so this cliché is justified. However, it isn’t a great idea to put all of your faith into your relationship just because it’s lasted as long as it has.

Attitude is another thing that can make or break a relationship. If one person is optimistic about the relationship while the other is not, that’s where things get hazy. Long distance relationships are hard as it is; you don’t need pessimism weighing it down.

Studies have shown that couples who believe their relationships will succeed often see those results – but not without communication. With the stress that post-grad comes along with, it’s easy to get distracted by looming deadlines, new friends, and bills to pay. If you stay committed to the relationship, however, and continue to communicate effectively chances are your relationship will be safe.

Relationships, whether near or far, cannot survive without trust. If you’re in one state and your beau is in another, you need to trust that they’re remaining faithful and vice versa. The more you allow your insecurities to get the best of you, the harder it is to keep a relationship afloat. Be mindful of temptations as well; things go downhill quickly the second you act on them.

Long distance relationships are challenging and adding fresh fears to them only makes them more difficult. But graduation doesn’t have to be ominous for all you love-stricken couples. They can work… with work.

Kaitlin Cubria is a senior Public Relations major at Hofstra University, double minoring in Journalism, and Speech Communications & Rhetorical Studies. Born and raised in Staten Island, NY, Kaitlin always loved going into Manhattan on the weekends. She is a member of the Hofstra chapters of both Ed2010 and Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), the vice president of She's the First Hofstra (non-profit) and acts as a Resident Assistant for Hofstra’s Residential Programs. Outside of her academics, Kaitlin recently finished internships at Hearst Magazines Public Relations, The CW Television Network Affiliate WPIX11 in the Creative Services division AND at New York Magazine. This semester, she has her dream internship at Seventeen magazine in the Web/Features department, where she is the Blog Manager for Seventeen.com's Freshman 15 blog! She is obsessed with pop culture; if you don’t see her reading the newest issue of Seventeen, you’ll probably catch her browsing PerezHilton.com for celebrity gossip. After having a love for both creativity and writing for a majority of her life, Kaitlin is excited to continue her communications/journalism experience at Her Campus! After college, she plans on pursuing a career in either entertainment public relations or magazine journalism.