Who Should You Kiss On New Years Eve Consider Your Friends?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Who Should You Kiss On New Years Eve Consider Your Friends?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Canva
Life > Experiences

Fun Ideas To Make Your Next Game Night A Blast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Game nights are one of the best ways to let loose, have fun and get to know people better. Invite your friends over for some competitive fun with some awesome party games. With so many options available, finding the perfect game for you and your friends can be frustrating. Scroll down to find awesome game night ideas to shake up your next Saturday night.

1. The Bowl Game

If you are looking for a hilarious ice-breaker/guessing game, a great option is The Bowl Game. This game is perfect whether you hardly know each other or are incredibly close. All you need for this game is a bowl, paper (cut into strips), and pens. If you are looking for a game with everyone laughing while learning random facts about your friends, this game will become your group’s favorite new game.

2. Cards Against Humanity

If you have a friend group with a dark sense of humor, then Cards Against Humanity deserves a spot on your game night roster. In each round, one player asks a question from a black card, and the rest respond with their funniest white card. CAH has lots of expansions available for the game, like 90s Nostalgia. 

3. What Do You Meme?

If you love Cards Against Humanity but want to try something new, What Do You Meme? is a great choice. This funny party card game is similar but with an internet-y twist and is perfect for social media enthusiasts. This game is similar to Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity in format; you will pair caption cards with photo cards in hopes of delivering that round’s winning meme.

4. Murder Mystery Games

Who says Murder Mystery is just for Halloween? If you enjoy gathering clues, collecting evidence, and solving mysteries, embrace your inner Sherlock Holmes, or Nancy Drew with a fun murder mystery game. There are lots of awesome murder mystery games you can buy, but you can also find some free ones that are just as good. 

5. Telephone Pictionary

Telephone Pictionary is a fun mashup of the two classic games, Telephone and Pictionary. The game starts by writing down a phrase (It is raining cats and dogs, Hitting a home run, Etc.) Then pass it to the player on your right, who will attempt to draw the phrase. The next player will then write down their interpretation of the drawing, and so on. Keep going around until it makes it around the circle.

6. Catan

The adventure-based board game Catan is another excellent option for your next game night. Designed for three to four people, players compete to gather resources and build the largest settlements on the island of Catan. The board comprises 19 hexagonal-shaped titles arranged differently each time you play. If you enjoy games involving critical thinking and strategic skills, this game is for you.

7. Spoons

Spoons is a simple and fast-paced game that is fun for everyone. All you need for this game is a deck of cards (without the jokers) and some spoons. Players take turns trying to collect four-of-a-kind, and when someone does, everyone tries to grab a spoon. Without a spoon, you receive a letter, and if a player spells “S-P-O-O-N,” they are eliminated. Wanna make it a bit harder? Place the spoons in another room so the players have to physically get up and rush to the spoons.

So whether you like a competitive game of reaching for spoons, or a relaxed card game that makes you laugh, we hope you find and enjoy some of these easy games to incorporate into your game nights!

Makayla Bryan

Hofstra '25

Makayla is a Public Relations major at Hofstra University. She spends her time listening to music, reading comic books, and shopping.