This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

After reading over 40 books in 2023, I got to enter the world of many great rom-coms and memoirs. 

There were many books that were worth the read this year – and unfortunately, some that weren’t. Here are some personal favorite reads from 2023! 

“When In Rome” by Sarah Adams

Amelia Rose, a pop star known as Rae Rose by her millions of fans, becomes burnt out after years of keeping a picture-perfect image. When Amelia runs away to small-town Rome, Kentucky for a break, she meets resident Noah Walker. As she gets to know Noah, Amelia can’t help but fall for him. But, Amelia can’t stay in Kentucky forever. 

“Tis The Season For Revenge” by Morgan Elizabeth

After getting dumped by her boyfriend of four years, Abbie Keller knows what she needs to do next – get revenge. And what’s the perfect way to do that? For Abby, it is to start dating her ex-boyfriend’s boss Damien Martinez. 

“The Summer Of Broken Rules” by K.L. Walther 

Meredith Fox heads to her cousin’s wedding on Martha’s Vineyard – and it’s her first summer back at the vineyard since her sister passed away. To honor her late sister’s legacy, Meredith’s family decides to play their annual game of Assassin. As she quickly finds herself forming an alliance with one of the groomsmen, Meredith begins to wonder if she can win more than just the game. 

“The Brightest Light Of Sunshine” by Lisina Coney

Grace Allen is determined to walk away from her traumatic past, while stranger Samuel “Cal” Callaghan is determined to focus on taking care of his little sister. When Grace and Cal’s paths cross, they can’t help but become close friends. As the two spend more time together, they begin to wonder if each other is the missing piece to their puzzle.

“Icebreaker” by Hannah Grace

After an incident results in the Maple Hills hockey and skating teams having to share the same rink, competitive figure skater Anastasia Allen and the hockey team’s captain Nathan Hawkins find themselves constantly stuck together. Anastasia tries her best to avoid Nathan at all costs, but when her skating partner faces an injury, she may have no choice but to ask Nathan for help. 

“It Happened One Summer” by Tessa Bailey 

After reading six Tessa Bailey books this year, a couple of them definitely stood out. In It Happened One Summer, Piper Bellinger finds herself getting caught off guard by her wealthy family and forced to take a break from the spotlight by taking a trip to the small town of Westport to run her late father’s dive bar. Quickly upon her arrival, Piper meets the town’s sea captain Brendan who doesn’t enjoy newcomers. Piper and Brendan are polar opposites, but after multiple run-ins the two realize they may actually enjoy each other’s company. Another great Tessa Bailey read this year was, Unfortunately Yours. 

“The Hating Game” by Sally Thorne 

Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman are two co-workers who hate each other. When the two enemies are up for the same promotion, Lucy and Joshua quickly learn that there is a thin line between love and hate. The Hating Game was also made into a movie in 2021!

“Book Lovers” by Emily Henry 

Nora Stephens is a busy literary agent from NYC who agrees to take a much needed vacation with her sister to Sunshine Falls, North Carolina. Even though the sisters took their trip to a small town, Nora can’t stop bumping into Charlie Lastra, an editor who she doesn’t get along with from back home. As Nora and Charlie keep crossing paths, they learn they may not dislike each other as much as they thought. 

Happy reading!

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.