Fashion Challenge: Channeling Cinderella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

My favorite part of any outfit is the shoes, so naturally I can easily relate to Cinderella. While I’m sure those glass slippers were not the most comfortable shoes of all time, (this was before the brilliant invention of gel inserts after all) you can’t deny they were a knock-out. While Cinderella’s story centers on one iconic pair of shoes, I’ve listed a few different ideas I feel Cinderella would happily incorporate into her closet.

Not all occasions call for high heels. I’m sure even Cinderella herself would happily trade in her magical shoes for a simple pair of ballet flats once in awhile. In keeping with the essence of Cinderella, try a pair of silver or sparkle ballet flats. Flats would be much easier to run around a castle, or go off to class in. These shoes can be paired with a sundress for a dressed up look, or thrown on with a pair of jeans for a more casual approach. 

If you’re busy running around like Cinderella and have a tendency to slip out of your shoes, have no fear, there are ways to fix this problem. Leave no shoe behind! Adding a pair of heel grips to your heels can help eliminate the problem of constantly walking out of your shoes. For desperate cases try attaching a pair of invisible straps to your heels. There are different varieties that come in clear shades, or decorative colors for a more daring and fashionable approach. The straps wrap around the bottom of your heel and the base of your foot to secure that your shoe will not get left behind at any ball. Prince Charming better just learn to take down your number.

On a college student budget, glass slippers are out of the question. Buying a new pair of heels may even be a stretch. Instead of going broke buying a pair of fabulous heels, try to spice up your current selection by adding new shoe accessories. Adding a shoe clip could change the entire look to your heels. There are dozens of sites online selling clips with rhinestones, bows and printed designs to help update your shoe collection. 

Sometimes you spot the most gorgeous pair of shoes you have ever laid eyes on and it’s like magic. You must have them. Even though they’re incredibly painful and you may think the person who made them has a secret hatred for feet, they have to be yours. I too have fallen victim to this scam. They’re just too beautiful to pass up. You convince yourself that you will wear them all the time and get an insane amount of use out of them. Sadly 2 hours in your feet are screaming and you can’t deal with the pain anymore. Even the most comfortable pair of heels can feel like you’re walking on nails after a few hours. Who are you kidding, you’re not Victoria Beckham, it’s nearly impossible to live in heels 24/7. Thankfully some genius came up with a back-up plan, fast flats. These foldable ballet flats can fit in your purse and be carried around in case of emergencies. If you’re traveling into the city for an interview, or have a good amount of walking involved in your daily commute these wonder shoes are a fantastic investment. Wear these flats to and from your event so you can give your feet a rest from those painfully beautiful shoes you had to have. 

Don’t doubt the power of a pair of shoes. Without those glass slippers, Prince Charming would have never been able to find Cinderella. She is proof that the right pair of shoes can change your life. 

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!