Everything That’s Been Going On With Selena Gomez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Selena Gomez is known for being open about the challenges that she has faced throughout her time in the entertainment industry, but within the past month she has been all over the news. With new projects constantly coming, the amount of press surrounding her is not unusual.

The first project that is bringing Selena Gomez more publicity is her new documentary, My Mind and Me on Apple TV. After being in the entertainment industry from a very young, she had a lot to share about her career along with her struggles with mental health. She focuses on how she has an autoimmune disease called Lupus and how that affected her mental health. Throughout the documentary, Gomez is very open with how hard Lupus and bipolar disorder is on her and her career.

Gomez came out with a new song which is also named “My Mind and Me”. The song is featured in the documentary. It encapsulates the main ideas from the film, focusing on her life and mental health. The song has been on Billboard Hot 100 since it was released, currently at number 83.

On November third, Rolling Stones published an interview with Selena Gomez, featuring her on the cover. This interview brought about controversy that quickly began to appear across social media and news sites. Gomez stated that her only friend in the industry was Taylor Swift which upset a close friend of Gomez, Francia Raisa. Raisa is an actress that donated her kidney to Gomez in 2016 but she was not mentioned in the documentary or the interview. Over social media, both Gomez and Raisa began posting comments against each other. Gomez commented “Sorry I didn’t mention every person I know” on a TikTok and Raisa commented “Interesting” on an Instagram post that was re-sharing Gomez’s quote from Rolling Stone. With Raisa upset about not being considered a friend in the industry, people are curious as to why she was not mentioned, wondering who, if anyone, is in the wrong.

As for the future, Gomez is busy with acting and new music. “Only Murders In The Building” on Hulu has been renewed for a third season but there is currently no news of when it will arrive or when filming will begin. There is also no confirmation of a new album this year but she has been hard at work on new music for “longer than some may think,” alluding to more songs on the way.

Samantha Litt

Hofstra '25

Samantha is a junior at Hofstra University. She is majoring in public relations, and has minors in film and creative writing. She is interested in everything related to music, writing and the entertainment industry.