This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Welcome back to Dorm Room DIY!

I can’t believe the semester is almost over and this is the second to last blog post before summer! It may be a little late in the semester for you to be decorating your dorm room but you may be looking for ideas for next year and you’ve come to the right place!

I’m going to teach you how to make wallflowers! I do want to warn you, my flower below is not the greatest, but it was my first time making them as well. You can make these types of wallflowers with any type of paper out there. I used the super mini sticky notes but you can use newspaper, magazines, regular printer paper, regular sticky notes or any other kind of paper that you can think of!

What you’ll need:

Paper (any type)

Stapler (optional)

Tape or glue

Cardboard

Scissors

Here’s how to do it:

So I started out with sticky notes, I used the super small ones because I was curious about how they would differ from regular paper. 

I grabbed an old box, but any type of cardboard will work. You could even use a paper plate if you only had that. The idea is just to have a sturdy back to your flower. 

Pick the size of your circle and cut them out.

Then I started rolling from one side of the stick note. Becuase it was a sticky note, it was a little easier to hold together than what a normal piece of paper would have been. 

Once you’ve finished rolling you can staple, glue, or tape your first “petal” onto your background. 

Then you can just keep going. I totally guessed on the spacing but essentially it doesn’t matter because you’re going to be able to cover it up with the next layers. 

After stapling the bottom layers I started using tape just because it was easier and it wouldn’t ruin the petals that were already on the cardboard. 

This is what it looked like with just two layers on. It really started coming together. 

I decided that I didn’t just want a pink flower, so definitely get creative with this! You could make a sunflower from this using yellow, brown, green, and white paper. Don ‘t feel like you need to stick with one color! 

This is the final product! I will tell you that it took way longer than I thought it would. I also will be doing some large flowers with regular paper which will be much bigger. 

You can see here the difference in size depending on what type of paper you use. I went with the smallest one that is shown in this picture. Also, something that might help you if you’re using regular 8×11 paper is stapling the bottom of the paper to keep everything together. Personally, I thought that rolling the big paper was much easier than rolling the sticky notes. 

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.